• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Lupe - what's the deal?

deprofundis

It's a good alternative to a cheesesteak when you're in that neighborhood. I think I like the tacos at Veracruzana and Plaza Garibaldi a little bit better, although this is a nicer spot to sit.

All true. TV has the tacos, PG the mole, but LL has the variety (soup!) and kickass outdoor dining: so lovely in the summertime. Probably my favorite summer brunch spot, the more I think about it.

Anyone been to Taco Riendo, a block north of Girard on 5th?

Taco Riendo is a really nice looking family-owned joint. The food is prepared in an open kitchen which always lends itself towards a strong health and safety ethic. Although not as inexpensive as the place on Washington Ave, Taco Riendo is worth the stop if you are in the area. Speaking of the area, make sure you lock your car!

:wink:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

PG also has an menu item called enchiladas suizas, to which I am so addicted that I can't seem to order anything else at Garibaldi as an entree. Mild creamy verde sauce. I've got nothin' at all against heat, but this dish is perfect as it is.

Can anyone tell me if the tacos al pastor at LL are true al pastor? (Meat carved off of a big pressed spit basted with achiote/other spices with pineapple juices running down.)

PG also has an menu item called enchiladas suizas, to which I am so addicted that I can't seem to order anything else at Garibaldi as an entree.  Mild creamy verde sauce.  I've got nothin' at all against heat, but this dish is perfect as it is. 

It's really hard not to order the Enchiladas de Mole, but you're right, the Suizas are excellent.

Can anyone tell me if the tacos al pastor at LL are true al pastor? (Meat carved off of a big pressed spit basted with achiote/other spices with pineapple juices running down.)

No, I don't think so, it's more of a sauce thing. Still, pretty good.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 5 weeks later...

we went by la lupe last night, and i had the especial de la lupe, which is the pork al pastor, topped with two fried eggs, some sauteed cactus and onion, and a little cheese and crema.

for $10.75, this is about the most food i've seen in a long time. i finished about half of it, despite having no appetizers and it taking a long time to come. good stuff. i'm back on the lupe bandwagon.

we went by la lupe last night, and i had the especial de la lupe, which is the pork al pastor, topped with two fried eggs, some sauteed cactus and onion, and a little cheese and crema.

Yeah, that's an excellent dish, beloved by everybody other than your arteries. Try the La Lupe special sandwich sometime: it's basically the same thing, only on a bun, and with avocado thrown in. As obscenely filling as it is ridiculously delicious.

That has always been the case with me too.  I expect it is a cultural thing.  Like often happens in Europe, they won't present the check until it is requested by the customer.  To do otherwise would be to rush the customer - considered uncivilized in most parts of the world.

Isn't it considered uncivilized here, too? I mean, at the very least, I have always thought it was pretty rude! And, I know when I used to work at Pollo Rosso in Chestnut Hill, Jon Myerow would have had a stroke if a server put the check down before the customer wanted it! :)