• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you mean you don't like Merlot?

GordonCooks

I've regarded it as useful mostly as a secondary grape in Medoc, Pomerol, and St. Emilion for blending with Cabernet Sauvignon to add softness, bouquet, and fruit. By itself, it promises to be low in body. But is early to ripe, productive, and ready sooner than Cabernet Sauvignon.

!

Merlot is the predominate red grape varietal planted in Bordeaux. In Pomerol and St. Emilion cabernet sauvignon is the blending grape not merlot. Excellent merlot is certainly not low in body, but produces a voluptuous wine. In soils that are a little cool for cabernet sauvignon merlot shines. The problem comes when it is planted in the wrong place or allowed to over-produce.

Chateau Petrus is almost 100% merlot. It's not a bad wine. :wink:

Craig Camp:

"Merlot is the predominate red grape varietal planted in Bordeaux. In Pomerol and St. Emilion cabernet sauvignon is the blending grape not merlot. Excellent merlot is certainly not low in body, but produces a voluptuous wine. In soils that are a little cool for cabernet sauvignon merlot shines. The problem comes when it is planted in the wrong place or allowed to over-produce.

Chateau Petrus is almost 100% merlot. It's not a bad wine."

Thanks. Sounds like I have been on the wrong side of the river too long!

So, what is California doing with Merlot?

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

[
So, what are

Although, if you find domestic merlot tasteless and the French stuff outrageously priced, I'd suggest that much the same could be said about your first place grape, pinot noir.

you could. it doesn't mean you're right, but you could :wink:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

[
So, what are

Although, if you find domestic merlot tasteless and the French stuff outrageously priced, I'd suggest that much the same could be said about your first place grape, pinot noir.

you could. it doesn't mean you're right, but you could :wink:

Ok so that's merlot out as well as pinot which leaves cab sauv the front runner, with syrah coming a close 2nd and cab franc 3rd

yes Scott you would then have my permission.

I have tried them all from Vitiano up to Montiano.

nothing special. Just more Riccardo Cotarello frankensteins (montiano) and unstable, astrigent green tea monstrosities (vitiano).

I can't even get my in laws to drink the remainder of my case of vitiano. :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?