• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats in Atlanta

maf

Fellini's Pizza. I know it doesn't seem like anything special, but, now that I'm located outside the immediate Atlanta area, I crave it like crazy. Super cheap, large, filling, but not too much cheese or too many toppings. The crust is thin on the bottom, puffy and slighty burnt at the edge, and has a lovely dusting of flour. They also make a remarkably consistent product.

On that stretch of Beaver Ruin (for those of you ouside Atlanta: yes, that's really the name of the road) between Indian Trail and Buford Highway, there's about half a dozen carneceria/groceries. Most of them have small kitchens in the back, and serve stuff from tacquitos to rolled flank to braised pigs' feet. The quality varies from store to store, and even from day to day, but at the worst, you'll get more and better food for your five bucks than Taco Bell could dream of.

I need names of some good places on Beaver Ruin. Also if you make a left on BuHi there are some more. The only great place I know of is Mi Pilon, but that is Dominican. I tried the La Fonda seafood place at ITR and BRR and it is very good, but not great.

Give me some names of ethnic places along Beaver Ruin and BuHi that are must tries.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had the (gravy) smothered hamburger steak with double rice at Junior's Grill? Used to be on North Avenue and Techwood Drive next to the Engineer's Bookstore. Now it's on the Tech campus under the Tech Tower. Oh man. I think I just seriously dated myself... :smile:

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

• 2 weeks later...

My awareness of cheap eats (with good quality) is generally in Cobb County. Green Tomato is a southern buffet operated by a very pleasant Korean couple. It is on Powers Ferry Road, across from Brumby Elementary School between Terrill Mill Road and Delk Road in the same shopping center with Micro Center. Seafood Corner (takeout only) is in Jonquil Plaza Shopping Center on Atlanta Road at Spring Road. Also in Jonquil Plaza is Supermercado Jalisco (also two other locations) where excellent burritos are $4.50 (one is plenty for a meal), tortas (sandwiches) are $3.50 and desserts (kept with the grocery cashier) are $.69 each. Champs Bar-B-Q on South Cobb Drive in the block north of Windy Hill Road has the best brisket I have had in Georgia in the more than twenty years I have lived in Georgia. El Taco Veloz (several locations) has superb food similar to Supermercado Jalisco. Dining for under $10 is possible at any hour in these places. Many others are available during the noon hour, but are higher in the evenings.

My awareness of cheap eats (with good quality) is generally in Cobb County. Green Tomato is a southern buffet operated by a very pleasant Korean couple. It is on Powers Ferry Road, across from Brumby Elementary School between Terrill Mill Road and Delk Road in the same shopping center with Micro Center. Seafood Corner (takeout only) is in Jonquil Plaza Shopping Center on Atlanta Road at Spring Road. Also in Jonquil Plaza is Supermercado Jalisco (also two other locations) where excellent burritos are $4.50 (one is plenty for a meal), tortas (sandwiches) are $3.50 and desserts (kept with the grocery cashier) are $.69 each. Champs Bar-B-Q on South Cobb Drive in the block north of Windy Hill Road has the best brisket I have had in Georgia in the more than twenty years I have lived in Georgia. El Taco Veloz (several locations) has superb food similar to Supermercado Jalisco. Dining for under $10 is possible at any hour in these places. Many others are available during the noon hour, but are higher in the evenings.

wow - thanks Milt - you just gave me three new places to check out now.

btw have you gotten a chance to check out Swapna yet? it's in the old Sai Ram location. i just went there htis past weekend. the foods pretty good, and fairly cheap too.

I haven't yet checked out Swapna, but it is on my list. I have enjoyed Haveli's buffet for years, but generally message boards don't all agree with my tastes. I want to see how Swapna compares.

Monday I had lunch at Supermercado Jalisco. Excellent, as usual. Yesterday I ate at Seafood Corner. We ordered at 1:10pm and were told it would be 40 minutes. Everything is cooked fresh. After 40 minutes, I was told it would be another ten minutes. Fifteen minutes later, I was told the order was ready and he just needed to bag it up. We were starving by then which always helps food taste good. My two guests said it was the best fish (they both ordered whiting) that they had had in quite some time. That was quite a backlog - they must be doing something right.

Haveli's buffet is a bit different from Swapna's. Haveli's style of Indian food is a bit different too - Swapna's has South Indian foods on their buffet, which is definitely different - and i must say i prefer their Butter Chicken to Haveli's - but i might actually prefer Haveli's Naan to theirs.

I totally agree with Taqueria del Sol. Great place for two to eat good food + margaritas for around $25.

My favorite though is the New Yorker Deli on Pharr in Buckhead. Get a fried bologna sandwich stock (don't change a thing). It's absolutely the best sandwich in Atlanta. Like redneck foie gras.

Tater in Memphis with the Atlanta blues again.

• 1 month later...

Gifted Gourmet mentioned that I had not praised Mi Pilon on eGullet. Apparently she is correct. CoolPapaBell made brief mention above in January, so I didn't elaborate. Mi Pilon is a great place for under $10. It is a Dominican restaurant on Buford Hwy @ Mitchell Rd - about a half mile north of Jimmy Carter Blvd. The plantains stuffed with beef brisket are superb - but not always available. The stewed goat is also a favorite. For those less venturesome, there are several beef, pork and chicken dishes to choose from along with red or black beans and rice or yuca. I particularly enjoy their homemade lemonade. They also serve a good Dominican beer. They are open seven days a week - I think from 11:30am-9pm, but check first if the hours are important. Spanish is the language of choice, but the two sisters who own Mi Pilon speak excellent English when that ability is needed.