• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for romantic dining

Nutley Resident

My wife has been hinting to me that she would like to go to a "nice romantic spot that is cozy, has a fireplace and a nice view." She may be dreaming of something off a movie set, but if such a place exists, I'd love to help bring her dream to reality. Any ideas?

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

There are many romantic restaurants in NJ. Does it have to have both a fireplace and a view? Keep in mind that it gets dark early. Arthur's Landing in Weehawkin has a gorgeous view of NYC as does Highlawn Pavillon in West Orange. Other romantic restaurants are:

AMANDA'S--HOBOKEN

ANDRE'S--NEWTON

BERNARD'S INN--BERNARDSVILLE

CAFE MATISSE--RUTHERFORD

JOCELYNE'S--MAPLEWOOD

RAT'S--HAMILTON

SERGEANTSVILLE INN--SERGEANTSVILLE

ZOE'S BY THE LAKE, SPARTA

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

does Stagehouse have a fireplace?  i seem to recall that they do.  certainly romantic.  no view, though.

Yes, Stagehouse has a fireplace.

So does Sweetwaters, but that place isn't very romantic.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Whispers, in Spring Lake. I have not been there, but I've heard that the food is excellent, and the atmospherics are elegant, intimate, and romantic. There's a fireplace pictured on the web site, but I'm not sure it's in the diningroom.

Edited to add The Grand Cafe, in Morristown. It's been many years since we had dinner there. I'm pretty sure we were celebrating some occasion, i.e., birthday, anniversary. I remember the food being very good, and that the diningroom was quite lush and romantic. I don't remember a fireplace, but they show one on the web site.

Edited by rozrapp (log)