• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sayreville area suggestion

tommy

i'll be headed down to the sayreville area and wanted to get some eats. i'm coming down the parkway.

i'm thinking of something along the lines of red meat. korean or anything else would work as well.

any suggestions? the only thing i know in that area is White Castle, which is looking pretty likely.

Haven't ventured much in that area in awhile, but...

If you take the Parkway and go right onto Rt. 9 South, you might find some stuff either in Sayreville or Old Bridge, which is just south of there. Having said that, there is a Japanese restaurant on Rt 9 South that looks very attractive from the outside, but I'm not sure whether it offers anything (ike sushi) beyond Hibachi tables. Ken thinks there might be a sushi place on Rt. 9 North in Sayreville. I believe there's an Asian (Indo-Pak) grocery on the northbound side of Rt. 9, in the Ernston Road area.

Then again, I'm only going by what I've noticed from looking out the window while either driving or simply being a passenger.

:smile:

If you can get to Rt. 35, you might luck out with something. I seem to recall once upon a time a variety of places.

Good luck - and let us know what you come up with!

I can think of 2 places; Bear's and Mr. Dees. Both hot dog places. Only eating establishments I've been to in Sayreville. And a good alternative to White Castle, which I'm sure you've been to many times. Bear's is a hot dog cart on Jernee Mill Rd. and rt. 615. Open Mon thru Fri 10:30 to 3:30. Mr Dees is a restaurant open every day. Bon Apetit!

John the hot dog guy

I know it's too late...but...I used to go to a place called "The Sayreville Bar" (very original name) and I wasn't sure they were still there...and if they were, my experiences were so long ago that I was hesitant to mention it.

BUT...I did a search and they are, indeed, still in business. They are now The Sayreville Bar and Restaurant (7 Cecelia Street, Sayreville). Still a very original name. :raz:

It was my favorite place to go when I was in college (in the 70s) and for a few years after. They had great seafood and it was a bargain back then - a plate of lobster claws for $2.50 (5 or 6 claws) and a huge pot of steamers for $5.00 (enough for 2 or 3 people to share). I got the same thing every time I went.

I stopped going when they renovated the place and became more of a full service restaurant and didn't have the "cheapie" seafood specials anymore.

But I am glad to have the chance to reminisce :rolleyes:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne