• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck four ways

jackal10

Thanks to the egullet team I can now post pictures again, so this is a longer version of Saturday's dinner

Duck four ways (Atkins friendly)

Duck pate (foie gras, duck, shallots) rolled in savoy cabbage leaves

Champagne

Making:

i2087.jpg

Finished Portion is one each as amuse.

i2088.jpg

Consomme Viveur (upmarket Borscht - duck, beetroot, celery, with parsley and onion quenelles)

Clarifying:

i2086.jpg

Service. Note clarity:

i2092.jpg

Leg and thighs boned and stuffed served on wilted salad with confit tomatoes, mushrooms, caramelised apple slices, aged balsamic

1996 Nuit St George, Bernard Ambroise, Cuvee Veille Vignes

Boning out the duck leg:

i2082.jpg

Stuffing:

i2083.jpg

Overnight in 3 tbs coarse sea salt, 1 tbs brown sugar, thyme, bay, garlic peppercorns

i2084.jpg

Two hours in a 170C oven. Lots of goose fat:

i2090.jpg

Apples, tomatoes, mushrooms

i2091.jpg

Presentation could be better

i2093.jpg

Duck breast roasted, with Rumtopf fruits jelly, roasted cauliflower, sprouts, carrots, onion cream

Jelly from the remains of the Rumtopf (fruits in rum - egcI preseves 1). The jelly is set with carrageen so that it is hot temperature stable

i2085.jpg

Must work on presentation. Onion cream is caramelised onions and thick cream, frozen.

i2094.jpg

Lemon Syllabub, langue d'chat. Ancient, but good.

i2081.jpg

Molten Chocolate Fondant, Mocha creme anglais

(standard creme anglais but with a tbs of ground coffee infused in the milk/cream before straining out. The remaining slight flecks of coffee are deliberate.

2000 Paradise Ranch Okanagan Merlot Icewine (stood up well!)

200g Lindt 85% chocolate, 120g butter, 200g eggwhite, not beaten

Silform mould; 10 minutes 200C oven

i2089.jpg

i2095.jpg

Cheese

Coffee etc

Happy birthday, and congratulations on your splendid celebration feast. Everything looks so tempting. The soup was beautiful and the glaze on the breast, the stuffing oozing out from the legs!

I've been meaning to ask (having read read your amazing Christmas blog) whether you do all this alone in the kitchen or do you have recruits? I've pulled off solo cook feasts, but I find the effort of coordinating time and space, pacing the preparation and finding space in the fridge, almost more work than the cooking itself.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Wow!! Everything looks amazing. Thanks for providing a vicarious thrill.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The duck legs were stuffed with sage and onion forcemeat.

I was in a hurry so used a good pork sausagemeat as a base, which I had to hand. If I was allowed more carbs I would use breadcrumbs, onion, sage, garlic, seasoning bound with an egg.

I've seen recipes that use Foie Gras as a stuffing. That seems to me a waste, as it would not survive the log cooking and duck is anyway fatty enough.

Edited because I just drew this great picture of drool coming out of my mouth because your pics are amazing, but when I posted it looked wrong.

Oh my goodness that looks good!

happy birthday

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe