• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying pink veal in London

Have you asked around at Borough? I don't know if they're organic, but the chances are good, and they sometimes help me out with some veal bones.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

You could try the Ginger Pig off Marylebone High St (Moxon St) - there's also one at Borough Market

Are they open now? I heard they had teething troubles.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Lidgate in Holland Park is usually a good bet.

They seem to have headed more towards the pre-packaged/prepared meats and away from old style butchery, for my money. A shame.

Flickr Food

For real old-style butchery, growly service and all, try Dove & Son, on Northcote Road SW11. They will give bones to a regular customer (you become one of these after roughly 5 years of steady custom) -- otherwise, they turn their bones into stock, which they freeze and sell. More expensive than a supermarket, but the products are first rate. Very good game in season as well. Moen's, on The Pavement, is also good, though I haven't asked them for bones.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Lidgate in Holland Park is usually a good bet.

They seem to have headed more towards the pre-packaged/prepared meats and away from old style butchery, for my money. A shame.

What about Kingsland, on Portobello Rd?

That place looks great. I've bought a chicken from them, but nothing major. And I don't know about bones.

Doves has helped me out a few times - but I was 'nominated' to them (like a club) by a regular, and they began slinging more veal bones my way than I could handle. You have to watch out for the grump though. He's got a big knife.

Flickr Food