• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Godiva chocolates

SobaAddict70

Sorry Soba...not a fan either. But there is a branch of an Oregon chain named "Moonstruck Chocolate Co." near me. Is anyone familiar with it? They sell this dark chocolate espresso bean bar which is aabsolutely mazing. I am not an expert but I taste a lot of chocolate liquor in there. I don't buy truffles very often but they do a clear creek pear brandy one which is good. (Though I'd love to have more brandy in there...)

Oh, and amen on the Ritter Sport bars.

Hm, ok.

What do you think about their ice creams?  There *has* to be something worth it, somewhere...  :shock:

Soba

I have to speak up....I LIKE Godiva. I like the flavors of the creams and the truffles. And I love the chocolate dipped orange peel. THAT is my favorite!!!

I'm losing my eGullet posting virginity in order to proclaim:

I love Godiva pumpkin spice truffles.

Pumpkin and chocolate is a highly underrated flavor combination, and I look forward to these every fall. Other than that, as far as Godiva, I can take it or leave it.

The oyster-shaped truffle

The peppermint cream in dark chocolate

The caramel trapezoid

Anything but white chocolate..............because what's the point?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I don't think that Godiva is necessarily BAD chocolate. It's more that it's extremely overpriced, better-than-average chocolate. I just got pissed paying $4 for a tiny peanut butter cup. Even the $1.75 truffle was overpriced. I know that there are countless chocolatiers (I'm lucky I live in NYC) in which I could purchase far superior chocolate for the same or slightly higher price.

I have to speak up....I LIKE Godiva. I like the flavors of the creams and the truffles. And I love the chocolate dipped orange peel. THAT is my favorite!!!

LMF, if you haven't already, you should check out Amore Chocolates in Bellevue. I've seen chocolate dipped orange peel there before, and they have some terrific creams and truffles as well.

-cg

Living in NYC, I can't see any reason to eat Godiva chocolates. With Payard, Jacques Torres, and two la Maison du Chocolat boutiques, Godiva is irrelevant. The slight premium in cost for quality chocolate will be more than worth it in terms of quality.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I also think it's overpriced for what you get, but we get a lot of free boxes here (I'm in a tech department of a university and people try to bribe us with choccies during the holidays) so I eat them periodically.

From the assortments, I like the dark chocolate mint, and strangely enough, the white chocolate marbelized starfish. It looks cool, but tastes achingly sweet. I mostly like the way it looks. I like some of the hazelnut stuff. I don't really like any of the truffles, but I still eat them if they're lying around.

From the store, I might buy the warm just dipped chocolate strawberries (though I can make it better at home, but these days I don't have a kitchen), the chocolate dipped orange peel, and maybe something with nuts in it. But these days I just go to Trader Joe's for a cheaper chocolate fix. They have these organic chocolate bars with raisins and nuts that I like. The dark Valhrona bars make good truffles. Also, they just came out with this huge box of Belgian chocs. Might try it.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

The only thing I like about Godiva is their recipes.

And the boxes, of course. They're gorgeous.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.