• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Your eGullet: a weekly wine

Craig Camp

The parent vine of both these varietals is called Crljenak (pronounced just like it's spelled) and comes from Croatia. Zinfandel may, in fact, be an older clone of Crljenak than Primitivo which has less than 200 years of recorded history in Italy.

click here for 2002 Torre Quarto, Primitivo, Tarabuso

Great news !

Thanks for the illuminating article. I never came across a primitivo that resembled a zinfandel. The Italian always seemed to me on the drier side less alcoholic with a somehow softer tannins.

Some Italian wines such as Rocca Alta do carry both names on the label but the higher quality wines usually stick to primitivo.

I have tasted some nice blends of Negroamaro and primitivo by Promesa. They provide a very smooth texture in wines like the Salento 2001.

cheers,

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.