• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Truly Bizarre Experience with Hot Ham

phaelon56

It sounds as if they were just trying to be innovative. After all, buffalo wings started somewhere. :biggrin:

I think not. She actually 'fessed up to the real reason right off the bat: "We do it this way because cappicola is too expensive" (obviously it is not).

In response to Mark's comment - yes it was JUST a sandwich but certainly qualifies as an Adventure In Eating. The fact that I have a place to share amusing or bizarre tales like this is yet another reason that I hang out at eGullet. Not to mention the fact that my location and budget (which is now directed at paying for a house) preclude the possibility of many fine dining experiences to share. Therefore.... my future comments may just stem from experiences with items as lowly as the sandwich.

It just sounds to me like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, cosmically speaking, at the focus of a number of evil forces.

The sandwich is a result of unsophisticated people discovering and being inspired by a "new" idea - "X" + hot sauce = "hot X"!! - and realizing that the unsophisticated public will be unaware of the cost-cutting measures involved. A rip-off, supported by their self-delusional misrepresentation of the product.

In response to Mark's comment - yes it was JUST a sandwich but certainly qualifies as an Adventure In Eating. The fact that I have a place to share amusing or bizarre tales like this is yet another reason that I hang out at eGullet. Not to mention the fact that my location and budget (which is now directed at paying for a house) preclude the possibility of many fine dining experiences to share. Therefore.... my future comments may just stem from experiences with items as lowly as the sandwich.

Word

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It just sounds to me like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, cosmically speaking, at the focus of a number of evil forces.

Wow. That's heavy. Just when I think things are going okay... the Cosmic "Man" puts me in place and I realize my puny insignificance in the grand scheme of things :hmmm:

Yet another piece of evidence that food and its consumption can be a spiritual experience.