• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Buying Blog

Varmint

Beeeyotch!!!!

i promise myself, if i get my own cooking column, I will buy a Kershaw Shun 10" Chef's Knife.

in other news, i just bought a 3inch paring knife from global. Sweet lil thing.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Spurred on by this thread and by Chad's knife sharpening tutorial I have ordered my very own knife sharpening system - the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204.

It arrived yesterday and all my knives in the house are now sharper than when they came from the factory! At last count I even had all 10 fingers left :biggrin:

I love sharp knives, but have always relied on a professional to sharpen them (we are blessed with a local knife maker who knows how to do it properly). I am proud to say that mine are now just as good. I got the system at New Graham Knives - their price was great and their service was wonderful.

A big thank you to Chad for all his info on his tutorial. The Spyderco is great for me to use as a first time effort - easy to learn and easy to set up.

Tommorow I will move on to sharpening scissors, vegetable peelers, and anything else I can find in the house. No one better get in my way, I am now a sharpening maniac :laugh:

Life is short, eat dessert first

are Kasumi knives any good? i'm thinking of getting a Kasumi chef's knife

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

are Kasumi knives any good? i'm thinking of getting a Kasumi chef's knife

I have a chef's knife and a petty from them, and I like them. Good sharpness and edge retention, very similar to that of the Kershaw Shun knives, which is the most similar knife that I can think of. Kasumis are a little less blade-heavy than the Shun knives, though.

The only negative things that I've heard about them are that sometimes the rivets in the handles aren't flush with the wood, and that sometimes the metal and wood parts of the handles don't meet very smoothly. There's a little bit of that going on in my petty handle, though it's not bad at all, but my chef's knife handle is perfect.

Edited by commodorewheeler (log)

I guess then that would make this the bargain of the century?

here

Same knives but with the micarta handles?

Joe

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I've heard that these particular Morimoto Nenoxes use a cheaper steel than the S1's that everyone has been talking about. From what I hear, they use the same steel as in the Nenox G-type series, which is Nenox's "bargain" line. Of course, the word "bargain" is being used rather loosely here, since Nenox's cheap line is still more expensive that just about anything you can get from Henckels, Wusthof, Kershaw, Kasumi, Global, etc.

Tokifusa @ BladeGallery

There are a few of the western pattern ones on this page.

More Tokifusa

I held this knife in the shop and it has an amazing balance and feel. If only I prepared more sushi... :wink::biggrin:

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order a Western pattern gyutou by Iizuka, bvut who knows how long it'll take to come in. Everyone seems to be severely backordered on his knives.

I have a chef's knife and a petty from them, and I like them. Good sharpness and edge retention, very similar to that of the Kershaw Shun knives, which is the most similar knife that I can think of. Kasumis are a little less blade-heavy than the Shun knives, though.

The only negative things that I've heard about them are that sometimes the rivets in the handles aren't flush with the wood, and that sometimes the metal and wood parts of the handles don't meet very smoothly. There's a little bit of that going on in my petty handle, though it's not bad at all, but my chef's knife handle is perfect.

i'm in the middle of deciding between a dropforged Global or a Kasumi.

The Kasumi is about 30% more expensive but way pretty. The Global is awesome and probably would get the job done just as well, abeit less prettily.

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I've heard that these particular Morimoto Nenoxes use a cheaper steel than the S1's that everyone has been talking about. From what I hear, they use the same steel as in the Nenox G-type series, which is Nenox's "bargain" line. Of course, the word "bargain" is being used rather loosely here, since Nenox's cheap line is still more expensive that just about anything you can get from Henckels, Wusthof, Kershaw, Kasumi, Global, etc.

I sometimes wonder what's the point of buying a knife that's supposed to last a lifetime or at least many many many decades when I'm just gonna give it away and buy the latest greatest that I can afford every year or so.

My threshhold of pain (as in financial outlay) increases with time.

A $300 knife once upon a time would have been just ridiculous to contemplate buying sudden becomes something i must have once i finish the next project and get my money.

i'm in the middle of deciding between a dropforged Global or a Kasumi.

The Kasumi is about 30% more expensive but way pretty. The Global is awesome and probably would get the job done just as well, abeit less prettily.

Between the two, I would go with the Kasumi. I also have a drop-forged Global, and for me, the drop-forged Global wasn't nearly as sharp out of the box as the Kasumi. As a matter of fact, the drop-forged Global wasn't even quite as sharp out of the box as the sintered Global that I have. Maybe it's the thicker spine on the drop-forged Global, or maybe it's just bad luck on this particular knife, though it certainly isn't defective or anything. Plus, the Kasumi looks a lot nicer.

I sometimes wonder what's the point of buying a knife that's supposed to last a lifetime or at least many many many decades when I'm just gonna give it away and buy the latest greatest that I can afford every year or so.

My threshhold of pain (as in financial outlay) increases with time.

A $300 knife once upon a time would have been just ridiculous to contemplate buying sudden becomes something i must have once i finish the next project and get my money.

Heh, yeah, though I'd like them to last a lifetime in those cases when I get one that I really like and want to keep (the Nenox S1 and Glestain both come to mind as far as my past purchases go). But I end up buying a lot of knives too, especially chef knives and santokus. It's a sick hobby, and my girlfriend loves to give me a hard time about it. She's always threatening (in jest, of course) that if any long, thin packages come in, she'll return them to the sender or throw them away.

Edited by commodorewheeler (log)

I'll be in the market for a new knife in about 2 months time (when I finish some freelance work)--I'd sure love to check out some of these knives in person. Can anyone recommend a good place to find Japanese knives with western handles in NYC?

Thanks!

Heh, yeah, though I'd like them to last a lifetime in those cases when I get one that I really like and want to keep (the Nenox S1 and Glestain both come to mind as far as my past purchases go). But I end up buying a lot of knives too, especially chef knives and santokus. It's a sick hobby, and my girlfriend loves to give me a hard time about it. She's always threatening (in jest, of course) that if any long, thin packages come in, she'll return them to the sender or throw them away.

i always say, as it's been often said, that you only need 2 main knives for most of your tasks: a Chef's Knife and a Paring Knife.

Those sets of 20 knives are mostly useless.

After saying that, I go out and purchase paring knife after paring knife (2 henckels, 2 wüsthof, 1 kyocera, 1 Global) in my quest for the perfect paring knife.

Now that I have my Global Paring Knife, I'm out to find the perfect Chef's Knife.

Why did i start with the paring knife instead of the more important Chef's knife?

Cost.

It's my understanding the Ryusen's are the same as my Hattori's. Same price so it's really which name you like. I'll be really surprised if you don't like it.

Joe

That's correct. Daniel told me that Ryusen makes the "cheaper" Hattori line.

So Ryusen makes the knives for Hattori?

To add a twist, it's been mentioned that Hattori owns the patent for the laminated steel used in the blade. Perhaps they license it Ryusen to do the actual manufacturing?

japanese-knife.com is based out of NYC

Thanks for your response. I just called them (Korin), and they don't carry the Ryussen/Hattori knives. Do any of you know of any other stores here that might?

Thanks again,

Adam

I just called them (Korin), and they don't carry the Ryussen/Hattori knives. Do any of you know of any other stores here that might?

While Korin doesn't carry Ryusen/Hattori, they do have the Ittosai suminagashi series which is similar (layered damascus outer with a VG-10 core). Apart from Ittosai, they also have some other fine brands as well, such as Nenox, Tojiro, Misono.

Maybe you can visit Korin to try them out and let us know what you think.

One thing though, I notice that pricing at Korin is quite high compared to other places.

I just called them (Korin), and they don't carry the Ryussen/Hattori knives. Do any of you know of any other stores here that might?

While Korin doesn't carry Ryusen/Hattori, they do have the Ittosai suminagashi series which is similar (layered damascus outer with a VG-10 core). Apart from Ittosai, they also have some other fine brands as well, such as Nenox, Tojiro, Misono.

Maybe you can visit Korin to try them out and let us know what you think.

One thing though, I notice that pricing at Korin is quite high compared to other places.

If they have Glestains for you to try out, you should definitely give them a whirl, too. They're some of the best that I've tried.

i ended up buying the Global Drop-Forged Chef's Knife 21cm(8 in), the GF-33.

whoa! it is like a great knife. Perfect balance and fit my hand really well. My previous knife was really too shallow and my knuckles hit the board before the blade did. Finally able to cut properly now that my fingers are tucked safely away.

I looked at the Kasumi too but just didn't want to pay that much at this point in time.

I paid the equivalent of USD 90 for the GF33. The same knife costs USD 110 online.

the Kasumi was about USD 140 at the same store.

I looked at the 11in Global Drop forged as well (GF-34) but it felt somewhat ungainly.

Just to let ya all know what a great knife it is. Sharpness: about the same as my Professional S Santoku from Henckels. Finishing, abit coarse.

Edited by AzRaeL (log)

I have skimmed the thread and I have not seen any mention of Viking cutlery...

I was just given a slicing knife as a gift. I never even knew they produced cutlery nor have I ever heard anything about it. It has a good weight and feels pretty good in my hand. Does anyone know anything about them or have any experience with them?