• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinkers See the Light in Low-Carb Beer

beans

Article here.

Low-carb beer makers are also trying to capture female drinkers with active lifestyles. Michelob Ultra will become the official beer of the LPGA Tour next year.

Instead of just Rolling Rock's core customers _ males between ages 24 and 29 _ Rock Green Light hopes to appeal to health conscious men and women, said Jon Genese, director of marketing for Rock Green Light.

I particularly like Julie Bradford's (editor of All About Beer magazine) view:

Bradford said one drawback to the low-carb craze it the misconception that beers are high in calories. She says the average 12-ounce beer contains 150 calories, compared to just 40 calories less for light beers.

"My personal view is drink a full flavor beer and skip the nachos," Bradford said.

:raz:

I hope this low-carb fad is over in the next few years

I agree! I can't believe the number of people I know who "can't eat any bread" but have no problem horking down a big steak and fat-laden caesar salad.

I'm just waiting for them to keel over from kidney failure or something...

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Here's a comment made by, Frans van der Minne, president and CEO, Heineken USA in a December, 2003, Nightclub & Bar article entitled "Down, But Not Out: Competition Between Alcohol Beverage Segments Heats Up the Beer Business."

“Success in the beer business is often about successful marketing, and this is a prime example. A-B has taken a concept of a tiny difference in carbohydrates between Ultra and other light beers and made it a big story, so far.  For nearly a year, they've been unchallenged in the marketplace on this concept,” Minne says.

“What is the point of difference? We've calculated that the difference in carbs between a bottle of Ultra and a bottle of Amstel Light is two pretzel nuggets . . . my compliments to August and A-B for their success to date.”

Further into the article he comments that perhaps it [low carb beers] are a little bit short on innovation and new product development.

my friends doctor told him that he could have 1 regular beer, 2 light beers, or 5 ultras. he now drinks ultra. so if the public is all that stupid, it includes doctors as well.

i'm a little miffed that A-B has done such a poor job with Ultra. i'm tempted to drink low carb beer, just as i am low calorie beer. however, the stuff is undrinkable. and this is coming from someone who drinks Bud.

Michelob ultra is drinkable, but doesn't have any flavor nor does it give you a buzz...might as well have a glass of tap water and save some $$$

Funny story: last year I had a superbowl party and someone brought over 2 12 packs of the stuff. My friend drank one bottle and then took the entire unopened 12-pack and proceeded to heave it off my 9th floor balcony. Needless to say, the girl who brought it was none too pleased.

Funny story: last year I had a superbowl party and someone brought over 2 12 packs of the stuff. My friend drank one bottle and then took the entire unopened 12-pack and proceeded to heave it off my 9th floor balcony. Needless to say, the girl who brought it was none too pleased.

i bet she was pleased a bit more than whoever had to clean it up! :laugh:

I agree...I can't stand the taste of Michelob Ultra.

What I don't get, is why not have a Miller Light if you have to have a low calorie, low carb beer. It has about one more calorie and one more carb then Mich Ultra, and tastes about 10 times better!

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

What I don't get, is why not have a Miller Light if you have to have a low calorie, low carb beer. It has about one more calorie and one more carb then Mich Ultra, and tastes about 10 times better!

if that was common knowledge, i'm sure they'd sell a lot more miller light. even i drink miller light when i'm feeling nostalgic. but never when i want a decent beer.

Anheuser-Busch Achieves Record U.S. Beer Volume In 2003

"We are pleased to report that our domestic beer shipments to wholesalers grew to an all-time high of 102.6 million barrels in 2003 -- increasing 800 thousand barrels or 0.8 percent over 2002," said Busch. "This record achievement, led by the success of the new Michelob ULTRA low carbohydrate brand and increased Bud Light sales volume, reflects the hard work and dedication by all of our employees and wholesaler partners across the country."