• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast bastard Ducks

MobyP

I've roasted a good dozen ducks this year, and almost all of them have been complete and utter, irredemial, unsalvageable rubbish. Complete pants. Wouldn't use them as a paper-weight.

Until now.

Came across this Ramsey Recipe (about half-way down the page). It was brilliant. Succulent, juicy, crispy-skinned perfection.

Also, it takes all of the work and worry out of it.

If like me you've been having problems getting your ducks in a row - have a try and let me know what you think.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Did you cook them ahead?

I thought this was interesting because its the first time I can recall someone saying cook whole duck day before than reheat it (although the christmas timing thing might also have something to do with it)

gary rhodes New British Classics and Stephen Bull book also have recipes for "slow-roast" duck, but I don't think either of them take the heat as low as the Ramsay recipe (gas mark 2)

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Precisely. I cooked it in the morning, let it cool, and whacked it in an hot oven in the evening. And it was a standard Sainsbury's Gressingham, so no special ingredients or equipment required.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Precisely. I cooked it in the morning, let it cool, and whacked it in an hot oven in the evening. And it was a standard Sainsbury's Gressingham, so no special ingredients or equipment required.

I have never had a problem with ducks. I prick the skin all over with a carving fork and place breast down in a 500 Deg. Oven for 20 Min. Reduce heat to 300 and cook until the breast meat is 140. flip the bird and finish to 160.

Living hard will take its toll...

What's interesting with this recipe is that it reverses the above. The long slow cooking at 300 for 2 1/2-3 hours keeps the meet incredibly tender, and then when you're ready to eat, 20 mins at 450-500.

Flickr Food

I believe most problems with domestic duck are with the duck and not with the cook. A fresh duck raised on grain has so much fat that it is almost impossible to ruin. The frozen ducks are a hit or miss proposition and I think are raised as cheaply as possible. -Dick