• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Mozzarella

lisabobd

A friend recently told me that he made fresh mozzarella cheese. He said the process was very simple (less than 45 minutes), only a few specialty ingredients were needed and the result was outstanding. Can anyone comment on experience with this and possibly direct me to a recipe.

We had an egullet Mozzarella-making gathering in Seattle last week. We used the recipe from Home Cheesemaking by Ricki Carroll (available on http://www.cheesemaking.com; I think this is also the same recipe in the 30 minute mozzarella kit on that site), and I think it went pretty well. It was a lot of fun kneading and stretching the lumpy curds into shiny balls of mozzarella.

I watched them making fresh mozzarella di bufala in Paestum in November. It looked more difficult than I thought it would.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I make it all the time. Here's the recipe I use:

Mozzarella recipe

It's a considerably easier recipe than most as it uses a microwave to finish the cheese at the end. I leave out the calcium chloride and the optional lipase powder, and add 2T of powdered buttermilk. I use Junket tablets, but I've found that they are weaker than actual rennet tablets, so I use two Junket tablets per gallon of milk. Citric acid is also called "sour salt"--you may see it called that at the grocery store.

You can use regular whole milk from the grocery store. If you can get raw or non-homogenized milk, use that--I think the product tastes a bit better.

Don't be afraid--just have fun and experiment. I got mozzarella on the first try with this recipe, but have refined everything over time. In fact, I'm giving bocconcini (mozzarella balls) in olive oil as holiday presents.

:smile:

Jamie

EDIT: spelling

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Citric acid is also called "sour salt"--you may see it called that at the grocery store.

It's also called vitamin C. :raz:

I've seen someone on TV (Chiarello, I think) use smashed up vitamin C tablets in recipes. Don't know if I'd use that method in any quantity, though.

amanda

Googlista

I don't want to nitpick, but I feel that I should point out that Vitamin C is in fact ascorbic acid--not citric acid. The two are very similar so I'm not sure if the distinction has any ramifications in the area of cheesemaking. Maybe an expert can chime in here.

I don't want to nitpick, but I feel that I should point out that Vitamin C is in fact ascorbic acid--not citric acid. The two are very similar so I'm not sure if the distinction has any ramifications in the area of cheesemaking. Maybe an expert can chime in here.

This is eGullet -- we are generally pro-nitpicking.

You're right. I stand corrected.

amanda

Googlista