• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin City Limits Festival

Jaymes

Looking for a good, cheap table wine?

World Market has been putting Yellow Tail wines on sale for $4.99 on recent weekends.

I've tried the merlot, the shiraz, and the cab.

I think they're darn drinkable. Very very good for the price.

In fact, stunningly good for the price.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

HI!

I'm new to this sectionof eGullet but I've been reading with great interest b/c I am traveling (with husband and friends from Dallas) to Austin for the Austin City Limits festival next week. Most of the travel/food advice I've found elsewhere focuses on the fancy and this won't be a fancy trip for us. Do you have any suggestions reasonably close to Congress (the hotel is at 701 I believe) and/or Zilker Park? We'd especillay love places that are open and serving late night or early lunch, or places we can escape to easily if the festival food is bad. We have a rental car lined up and intent to use it for a side trip to Boggy Creek Farms (which we learned about on eGullet) but won't be able to drive at dinnertime much b/c of festival parking restrictions.

We're from Memphis and live in San Diego now; a BBQ suggestion (texas-style) would be fun. We're also all big beer fans and can't wait to try the Shiners we can't get here. Is the Alamo Drafthouse mentioned in the Chronicle poll good? I've been wearing my old Celis Tshirt in memoriam since I discovered sad news on the site a few days ago.

Can't wait to hear from you. Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Hiya Martha - and welcome to Austin.

There has been some considerable discussion on this topic further down in the Texas, etc., thread, under "Texas Hill Country."

Among other things, I linked to an Austin American-Statesman that discussed the late-night options at length.

Barton Springs Road (which goes into Zilker Park) is informally dubbed "Restaurant Row," because there are a great many Austin eateries there, including Chuy's, Shady Grove, Green Mesquite BBQ.

Since you're renting a car, I'd very strongly suggest you drive the 25 or so miles south of Austin down to Lockhart and visit Smitty's.

And do post something in "The Hill Country" where other ACL participants have been chatting.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you're looking for something open late and/or early, definitely familiarize yourselves with the Magnolia Cafe on South Congress. Just plain good food in an ageeably laid-back, funky atmosphere. You won't be sorry.

An odd alien wench

• 4 months later...

I decided that this is as good a place as any for this. If you are going this is an awesome deal. Great Festival. Great Music. Pretty Good Food at the fair. Really good food in Austin.

Edited to say that there are going to be $35 dollar -3 day-tickets available Monday 3/16-web only. I will post a link when I can get it to work. I got it by email and can't link to it from work.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Boy, is this thread weird. :wacko:

This thread is entitled "Austin City Limits Festival." It indicates it was begun by me, which it wasn't. I don't have to ask where to eat during the Austin City Limits Festival. I live here, remember? :wacko:

And then, the first posts (including mine) are about wine. :wacko:

And then MM comments about a festival that begins March 16th. The Austin City Limits Festival is in September. The spring music convention (and film festival and 'interactive media' festival) is "South by Southwest" -- an entirely different animal.

All just very...weird. :wacko:

Edited by Jaymes (log)