• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Update on Old Dominion's bottling of bourbon stout

LJDolan

Susan and others,

I stopped by Old Dominion earlier today and talked to one of the brewers. OD has received permission from the ATF to start bottling their bourbon stout and selling kegs to restaurants. For now, OD just be selling the kegs and will sometime in 2004 start bottling it.

Susan and others,

I stopped by Old Dominion earlier today and talked to one of the brewers. OD has received permission from the ATF to start bottling their bourbon stout and selling kegs to restaurants. For now, OD just be selling the kegs and will sometime in 2004 start bottling it.

What is bourbon stout? If it's what I think it is, where can I get some?

Susan and others,

For several years OD has been putting its stout in used bourbon barrels and serving it at their brewpub. The brewery has been working to replicate it by adding flavorings to the stout, since it wouldn't be practical to age in bourbon barrels on a large scale.

Incidentally, old habits die hard, but it's no longer ATF that confers label approval. It is now the Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB).

Incidentally, old habits die hard, but it's no longer ATF that confers label approval. It is now the Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB).

I stand corrected. I was just told by Old Dominion that it was ATF approval that was being waited for. It was posted at part of a news item on their website.

Also, for anyone traveling to the DC area, there already is bottled bourbon aged beer available.

Shenandoah Brewing, a BOP/small microbrewery located in Alexandria, Virginia already produces bottled bourbon aged beer for sale at the brewery - oatmeal stout, wee heavy and sahti (a Finnish style barleywine with juniper berries). They also have these three beers non-bourbon aged.

Shenandoah Brewing, a BOP/small microbrewery located in Alexandria, Virginia already produces bottled bourbon aged beer for sale at the brewery - oatmeal stout, wee heavy and sahti (a Finnish style barleywine with juniper berries). They also have these three beers non-bourbon aged.

For travelers, Shenandoah is pretty close to the Van Dorn St exit on the Beltway between the Wilson Bridge and Springfield.

Susan and others,

OD Bourbon Stout has to be one of the finest beers I've ever had, shockingly smooth, with so many terrific flavors layered upon one another, dark coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, bourbon, even cherries. An extraordiary beer.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I had an incredible Bourbon Stout at Goose Island in Chicago. It was served in snifter like fine Cognac. It had the complexity of an old Cognac or Single Malt Scotch.

Truly a beverage for "meditation".

If you enjoyed Goose Island's Bourbon Stout, a very good stout indeed, the Old Dominion would absolutely knock your socks off.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

LLOYD!! Next time I visit N. VA, and if you want to buy me beer (like you always do!), Guess what kind I want!? You got it! That Bourbon Stout is the reason I stop into OD! Well, that and the Tuppers Pils, and the pale ale on hand pump and the...wel, you get the idea!

Good to see you here!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

LLOYD!! Next time I visit N. VA, and if you want to buy me beer (like you always do!), Guess what kind I want!? You got it! That Bourbon Stout is the reason I stop into OD! Well, that and the Tuppers Pils, and the pale ale on hand pump and the...wel, you get the idea!

Good to see you here!

Bob R in OKC

Bob,

Right now if I want, I can get a growler of the bourbon stout at OD. But if it is bottles you are looking for, I can stop by Shenandoah brewing and get some of their bourbon wee heavy, bourbon oatmeal stout, or bourbon sahti. It will be bottles of the OD bourbpn stout if they have started bottling it next time you are here. Also by then, Leesburg Brewing on Catoctin Circle should be opened.

• 5 months later...
Also by then, Leesburg Brewing on Catoctin Circle should be opened.

Have you heard anything on the status of Leesburg Brewing Company? I drove by there a couple of days ago and didn't see any sign of a brewpub in that new building. Is it still in the works? I've not heard a word about it in many months.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I've got to keep an eye out for OD bourbon stout! This is the first I've heard of it.

My wife and I had a bourbon stout at District Chophouse in DC a few years back that was absolute nirvana. Don't know if they still do it, but at the time it was a "seasonal" brew. I should say I found it strange that they had it in the summer -- not quite the season I'd expect for a brew that warming....

Christopher

FYI, Old Dominion's bourbon stout is officially bottled as Oak Barrel Stout. It's readily available in stores now, and it is quite tasty.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

The draught is terrific if you can find it, it's quite different to the bottle although the bottle is certainly good. For the bottle they add vanilla and oak chips to get a similar flavour to the bourbon cask. You don't have to drive all the way to the brewpub to get it. They had it at the Irish pub in Pentagon City - Sine - last time I was there. Apparently they are a "partner" with the brewery. They have Tuppers Hop Pocket on Draft too! (But not on hand pump like at the brewery - that is out of this world!)

Have you heard anything on the status of Leesburg Brewing Company? I drove by there a couple of days ago and didn't see any sign of a brewpub in that new building. Is it still in the works? I've not heard a word about it in many months.

According to Bill Madden at Cap City-Shirlington, the brewing equipment has just been installed.