• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar – a dessert bar – Chicago

Sweet Willie

Sugar is a dessert bar, a supposed cool, hipster hangout place.

We had finished our sushi at Sushi Samba and felt like dessert. Sugar is only a few blocks away so we walked.

We arrived at 7pm on a Saturday night, so it was not crowded. We were greeted by the eye candy hostess and seated at a booth. She left us with the comment, “you have the booth for 1 ½ hours, after which it is reserved”

Wife made the comment that it is a good thing the lights are low as if you were to turn them up the place would look like someone’s badly designed basement. A true comment.

But hey, we were there for the dessert, which I believe is created by a pastry chef who used to be with Charlie Trotter’s.

The menu is a fun play on words with desserts such as the desserts we had of Banana Karenina and Et Tu Frute? Or such as Pearadise Lost, The Interpretation of Creams, MacDeath By Chocolate.

Nice booze selection.

Under each dessert listed are suggested drinks. Wife choose champagne, I choose a (don’t have the whole name) Don PX which tasted like a raisin liquor. This was delicious, I could have just drank this as my dessert.

Wife is dairy free and hence she choose a fruit based dessert, she did have it w/o the caramel/dairy topping that was supposed to come with it, so I don’t think her dish would be a fair review.

That’s fine, onto my stellar dessert.

Chocolate chewy meringue (sp?) with carmelized banana slices, with carmelized banana pudding, surrounded by a hot fudge that was more dark chocolate taste than milk chocolate. All slightly warm. WOW WOW WOW. Incredible.

Sugar is sure a nice place to end the dining portion of one’s evening. I usually don’t have a sweet tooth, but after my great dessert, I’ll be back.

Sugar – A dessert bar

108 W. Kinzie (just west of Clark)

Chicago,

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Ms. Alex and I went to Sugar a couple of Chicago visits ago. We stopped by after a play, so I'm guessing it was about 11 p.m. (They're open until 2 weekdays, 3 weekends.) We would have loved to have been seated in one of the cool booths, but the place was pretty crowded by then and all of them were taken.

We loved the desserts (Ann also got the Banana Karenina; I had Diary of a Melon -- melon under yogurt sorbet). Two caveats, though: 1) It's loud. (At least it was when we were there.) 2) They're premium desserts at premium prices; most are $10-15. There's also a hefty markup on wines, e.g., Quady Essensia at 13/glass, 52/bottle.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 year later...

Anyone been to the Sugar Bar in Chicago..........reviews that I've seen online are pretty mixed on the actual desserts. The one common statement in all reviews/comments I saw was that the service was terrible and the place was a bit pricey.

Any input?

I went with a few friends when I was in Chicago and we loved it. It wasn't cheap, but it was something worth shelling out $$$$ to experience at least once, which is not to say I won't go back, because I will.

The desserts were good and each creation on the menu had a rather poetic description. There was also a lengthy list of drinks. In terms of atmosphere and people watching, I'd give it an A+.

My sister was actually talking to me about this place a few weeks ago. She said it was way too expensive and the wait to get in was ridiculous. The doorman was a jerk & the service & desserts were no better. So in a nutshell..it sucked.

My sister was actually talking to me about this place a few weeks ago.  She said it was way too expensive and the wait to get in was ridiculous. The doorman was a jerk & the service & desserts were no better. So in a nutshell..it sucked.

I was with someone who knew the owner, so we didn't have trouble getting in or getting a booth. I can see how someone might have a different perspective after having to stand in line for awhile and then get treated badly. That's too bad.

And I admit, if you don't like a club scene or enjoy that kind of atmosphere every once in awhile, you might not be into it either. It's not a cozy little dessert spot, but a hip and trendy type place with cool desserts.

I wish Austin had a Sugar bar. Don't know if it would work in this town, though.

Edited by claire797 (log)

i've been to sugar and found it to be disappointing. it's a nightclub that serves avant gardish desserts at around 10 dollars each. not my cup of tea. maybe i might've liked it better if i wasn't married or something. "hey there, can i buy you a dessert?"

• 4 months later...

According to a report in last Sunday's Chicago Sun-Times, Sugar has closed:

Pastry chef Christine McCabe said she was "stunned and honored" to win a prestigious American Food and Entertaining Award. But don't drop by Sugar: A Dessert Bar, to congratulate her. Three years after it opened, the hip late-night sweet spot at 108 W. Kinzie has closed. . .

Dessert bar Sugar shuts, but stay tuned

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com