• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharing Wine Pairings

tammylc

I'm going to Trio in Chicago on Sunday night for their Tour de Force menu at the kitchen table. I'm very excited...

I've been to Trio before and they do a nice job on wine pairings, so I don't want to miss the opportunity to see what the sommelier is up to. But...

I'm pregnant, and while I've not sworn off all alcohol, I am trying to keep consumption to moderate levels. Which means I'm likely to have a sip or two of each pairing and be happy with that. One of my dinner companions has agreed to order the wine pairing with dinner and share with me.

What's the proper etiquette for that situation? Should I just take my couple sips from her glass? Ask the sommelier to split the pours? Thoughts?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'd explain the situation to the sommelier and ask for his/her recommendation on how to enjoy the wine pairings in appropriate quantities. You might ask if one option might be a sample pour from your friend's glass, or perhaps suggest a slightly reduced supplement to the tasting or separate small pours.

Let us know how it turns out. And a big congratulations on your pregnancy!

For liability reasons they may be reluctant to serve you wine at all if you tell them that you are pregnant. Even though I don't agree with the recommendation, The International Center for Alcohol Policies (ICAP) reports that the US Government recommends abstinence from alcohol during pregnancy. This may potentially open a bar or restaurant knowingly serving alcohol to a pegnant woman to liability should a problem ensue with the pregnancy. The statute of limitations is a long one. This is one of the main reasons liability and malpractice insurance is so high in obstetrics.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

When I went to Trio I was with my seven year old and explained that I couldn't have a lot of alcohol but wanted to try a bunch of things. They gave me tiny pours and charged a modest tasting fee for wine.

Let us all remember while no-one here is advocating mass consumption of alcohol while pregnant, the thought that some one other than the woman holding the child inside is ultimately the desicion maker about these things is abhorrent and appalling.

I drank tiny amounts of beer when I was pregnant and my child's IQ is alarmingly high; once in a trattoria (casual Italian) when I was nursing (under a blanket) I was asked to go to the bathroom. I told the GM he could go eat in the bathroom preferably off the toilet. The resulting incident and fit that I threw... well I just drove by and the restuarant is closed now :raz: . The point is Trio, mcDonald's wherever- no-one has the right to decide what you put in your body. If you are not showing I would simply ask for small pours and do what is best for you and your baby.

over it

Etiquete is about being a good host and allowing maximum comfortability.

You should be presented with tiny sips of your own without having to drink from your friends glass.

The fact that you have chosen to participate should be enough to earn their appriciation and extra attention.

When I dined with my wife during pregnancy a few months ago, not all hosts were cosiderate - that is bad etiquete. One place had us waiting for 15 minutes on tall uncomfortable chairs although we reserved in advance [ I only wished Carema was there...].

The better hosts they are the more comfortable you should feel.

I would call them in advance and explain the situation.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Thought I should report back in on how it went. When our server asked if we were interested in the wine pairing menu, I indicated that one of my companions and I were interested in splitting a pairing. He said "Very good" and brought two glasses for the rest of the night. No questions, no problems. My pregnancy wasn't obvious (I was wearing a big shirt overtop of stretchy black velour pants - my attempt at pregnancy chic) so any issues of liability were avoided.

The wine pairings were great, as usual, and featured lots of unusual wines that you just don't get elsewhere - red wine from Austria, white wine from Sicily, Port from one of the few remaining Portuguese (ie. not British) houses, a late-harvest Chenin Blanc with the foie gras course, etc. I got in lots of happy wine-geeking time with the server, which resulted in him bringing me a little taste of a dry Amontillado (sp?) sherry to try, which was really neat.

It was a really, really wonderful dinner and I had a fabulous time.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Sounds like it was handled well all around. I think it was better for all concerned that you didn't put them on the spot regarding your pregnancy. While I think that any given individual is responsible for him or herself the courts don't always see it that way.

Excellent description of your meal on the Trio thread. I can't wait o get there myself, although I'm not sure when I'll next be getting to Chicago.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz