• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant complaint in California

Chef Fowke

As a waitress there is no way you should have paid for the meal. It is the servers responsiblilty to take care of a customer complaint. I can't count the amount of times i've taken things off a guests bill because they obviously didn't like it but didn't complain.

It could be argued that you're going beyond the call of duty. Do you ascertain how the customer feels by asking, as in "I see you didn't eat much of that. I take it you didn't like it?"?

Michael aka "Pan"

I agree that I am going beyond the call of duty. In most cases I do ask. Sometimes it's the food, other times it wasn't what they were expecting or they just ordered too much food. I would rather take the food off their bill and have them walk out of there with a good dining experience rather than feel like they've paid too much for food they didn't eat.

If I were in a restaurant and the food was inedible I would not pay for it. If the server didn't take care of the problem than I would go right to the manager.

• 2 months later...