• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Heights "Farmer's Market"

fifi

*crawling out from under my rock*

Why didn't I know about this? :blink:

My sister just reported in on a fledgling "farmer's market" that sets up on Saturday mornings from 8 - 12 on White Oak between Oxford and Studewood. Apparently it is in the parking lot of Onion Creek. There are about 10 booths. She got some organic veggies, mainly greens and radishes, Brazos River pecans, homemade soap and lip balm, dough for scones and flat bread from Boulevard Bistro. That is Monica Pope's place. My sister met her. She was there, which makes this more interesting. Supposedly this thing has been organized by the Urban Garden folks. (She also says it was recently written up... somewhere. I searched on the Chronicle and the Press sites and didn't get anything.)

I have no idea if this is a "sanctioned" (whatever that means) market or not and it sounds small but at least someone is trying. I also have no idea how long this has been going on. It seems to be a pretty well kept secret, at least from me. But then, I don't hang around inside the loop a lot reading the local rags.

I won't get a chance to check it out for at least a couple of weeks. If any of you Houstonians get a chance to, a report would be appreciated. Some history on how it got started and what the aspirations are would be interesting.

The farmer's market situation in this city is abominable. I would sure like to see a really healthy one get going.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi,

I can't help you, other than to say there are folks in the Houston metro area who have been growing and selling their produce to restaurants for years, unbeknownst to most local folks. While this farmers market idea is obviously not new(I was at one in Halifax, Novi Scotia at the end of Oct.) , our farmers market on Airline is truly not a real farmers market, as it mostly deals in consignment lots that come from all over the country, and need to be moved at whatever it can be sold for... :angry:

When in Canada...I could tell that the produce was really from the gardens and farms of local growers, not folks playing like farmers who bought their wares from a produce company. That is what you have to watch out for...truth in advertising. :shock:

The idea is great...I hope it works out.

Venado

Yeah Venado, If you go to the USDA site for farmer's markets here, you will see how pathetic the Houston scene is. I think the lady growing the salad stuff for the restaurants is part of this one. That is what my sister and her friend said, anyway. I don't understand why we can't get a good market here. We have a lot of growers in the area. There is an oriental family that does it in a big way... exotic veggies, herbs and stuff. They were written up in the paper a couple of years ago. There is a lot of that kind of growing going on but I will bet it all goes to restaurants and maybe groceries like Hong Kong market. Anyway, with the salad lady and Monica Pope involved maybe this one has a chance.

edit to add: You will find out that this is a persistent rant of mine. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fifi-

I think I know what you are talking about! I've never been there but I noticed it mentioned on Boulevard Bistro's web site ;Click Here; and I never figured out what it was. I will check it out at my earliest chance and maybe put in a plug for e-gullet with Monica if I see her.

Elie

edit: added link

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I visited this market back in May? June? when it was first getting going (4-5 vendors)...I have to admit I was less than impressed with the produce that I bought (fresh corn and heirloom tomatoes), but made a mental note to try again later.

I think there was an article in the Chron when it first opened - can't think how I would have heard about it otherwise - and another one a few months later, which reported about rumblings from city inspectors regarding selling cooked products without permits. They interviewed someone who was explaining they sell fresh jalapenos, and convert them into jalapeno jelly if there are no takers, then sell the jelly. (warning: based on a decaying memory! it might have been some other fruit/veg that was being sold and/or converted to jelly...)

Now I'm curious and have to go visit it again! A friend who lives right by there says that there are more cars there every week; it would be great if they can outgrow that small parking lot. It's sort of embarassing to me that Houston doesn't have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT CATCH!

Thanks, Elie. I hadn't gotten to the paper yet. Alison sure did a nice job. I would like to know more about our brilliant city government's position on this, though. Do these people live under a rock? They should be doing all they can to encourage this. I don't live in the city so I don't know who is who. Sounds like we have a job to do on educating the clueless. Any suggestions from you lucky folks in our other, more enlightened cities would be appreciated.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It really is disappointing and shocked reading about what the City’s Health Department position is. They actually have a fresh cheese guy and a fresh farm egg guy at the market and the HD is giving them shit about it. That is just wrong. I am definitely going to try and pay the market a visit before the January/February hiatus—and will look to buy some of that fresh cheese and eggs.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Do these people live under a rock? They should be doing all they can to encourage this. I don't live in the city so I don't know who is who. Sounds like we have a job to do on educating the clueless. Any suggestions from you lucky folks in our other, more enlightened cities would be appreciated.

Dear Houstonians,

Congratulations! I was shocked to learn that you had no farmer's market, but this sounds like a great start. Here in the bay area, as you can imagine, they have had farmer's markets since probably before I was born. They are usually run by a nonprofit with lots of volunteers: like CUESA in SF and the Ecology Center in Berkeley. Such organizations seem to be a useful buffer between the farmers and the city, making everyone's lives easier. It sounds like your market is run by two women, and I bet they could use some help. Believe me, it is worth some effort.

Of course, talking to your city council reps. about the board of health might help too.

Here are two national nonprofits that might have some resources for dealing with overzealous inspectors: Local Harvest, Food Routes.

Oh, also, from Deborah Madison's site:

State Farmers Market Representative

Jim Jones

Texas Dept. of Agriculture

P.O. Box 12847

Austin, TX 78711

Phone: (512) 463-7563

Fax: (512) 463-9968

E-mail: jjones@agr.state.tx.us

good luck.

Great article. I have not been to the Saturday market yet but will go soon!

I have had lunch a couple of times at Onion Creek when it first opened. Sandwiches and chips, not a very extensive menu at that time. I have not been in several months. It is very nice inside and on the patio, a perfect place for weekend coffee or hanging out after work with drinks. Very diverse crowd.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I did make it to the market this past Saturday, unfortunately I got there around 10:30 and everything was pretty much gone. I bought some great looking Texas pecans from one stand and I got some Meyer lemons from Monica Pope’s stand. According to Pope and Andrea Lazar they are still having problems with the state Health Department and when I mentioned if they can get any help from the State’s Agricultural Dept. she just shrugged and shook her head. Hopefully we will see them back there in March.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

According to Pope and Andrea Lazar they are still having problems with the state Health Department and when I mentioned if they can get any help from the State’s Agricultural Dept. she just shrugged and shook her head. Hopefully we will see them back there in March.

Elie

Oh dear. I wonder if that means that they didn't even try or if they tried and got no help. What we seem to have here is a potential conflict between opposing government forces: Agriculture trying to promote the idea and Depts of Health trying to shut it down. About the only way to work through that is to run the regulatory gauntlet, starting with the side that is supposedly willing to help you out. Being in the food industry, I am sure that these folks understand all of this, but you never know.

I will see if my sister's friend knows what the deal is since he has been talking to them about getting more participants. I probably won't see him until Christmas, though.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 month later...

FYI-

According to Allison Cook in today's Chronicle, the market will be open this Saturday January 31st. A month earlier than initially expected. I will try and make there early this Saturday.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

A great heads up on the new farmers' market. I live a few blocks from the established one, and it certainly is bull!@#$. I get better stuff at the Fiesta on 23rd and Shepherd, with more variety and less haggling.

But Onion Creek? I can't help but be apprehensive about the hipster element. Am I cool enough for that scene, and can real farmers work in such a pretentious environment?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Went by the market on Saturday. Ends up, the house we are buying is less than two blocks away. As a result, my wife wants a bike so she can go every Saturday morning. :rolleyes:

Not much at the market yet. Six stands, primarily herbs and fresh lettuces. The biggest draw seemed to be the person selling the home made salad dressing. Despite the limited number of stalls, the market did seem to draw a decent size crowd. Hopefully, that will bring more merchants.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe