• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Dining in LA or Vicinity

ErinB

• 2 weeks later...
I like Sona!  You should check it out.  The thing I like about it is that the chef is going his own thing.  Very personal.  Do the 9 course menu if you can, but skip the wine pairing.

I was wondering why you would recommend skipping the wine pairing with the 9 course. :huh:

I'm looking for a very nice restaurant to take my husband for his 40th birthday. He goes to Montreal on business every few months and raves about the food at Toque where he eats whenever he goes (and can get a reservation). He always has the gourmet meal (6 courses) with the wine pairing. I'm looking for a restaurant with a similar menu. If anyone is familiar with Toque maybe they can suggest a comparable or even better restaurant in the L.A. area. My husband and I haven't been out to a really nice restaurant since we started having kids (I think the last nice restaurant we went to was Spago over 10 years ago) so we are definitely over due and have no idea what restaurant is good now adays.

From the postings I've been reading, I'm leaning toward Sona, A.O.C., or Bastide. If anyone has any other suggestions or opinions, I would appreciate them. I know everyone has different tastes and preferences but from the postings I've read, I can see that you all know good food which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!!!

:smile:

Alex, Melisse, or Valentino's. These three have fabulous food and are warm friendly places. In other words, you do not need to be recognizable or trendy. Stick to the tasting menus and trust the wait staff's wine recommendations. We go for special occasions or when we just want pampering and wonderful food. Enjoy!

Emily

A few weeks ago, one of our (Seattle) local food radio shows was broadcast from L.A. Tom's guests recommended:

Nancy Silverton - A.O.C., Jar, and Angelini (Beverly Blvd.)

Sue Finnigan - The Vic (Santa Monica) and Bombay Cafe - maybe not "fine"?

David Shaw - Waterview (Grand Ave btwn 5th and 6th) - said they used to ruin a good piece of fish with sauces, but now he'll eat whatever they make for him, and Sona - very highly recommended.

and of course, much talk about Campanile and sandwich night.

I hear Jar's gone downhill. I know someone who used to work there and at that time it was okay, but the revolving door of employees has caused the food quality to dim somewhat. At the time I ate there, I had an excellent meal, I have to say. But at the time, the desserts were house made, which, after the pastry chef quit to go to LAX to be a baggage handler several years ago, was no longer the case. I don't know how it is now.

Mark Peel is the co-owner of Jar, which may be why Nancy Silverton (wife of Peel) would recommend it. Even in its heyday, I thought Campanile was a better restaurant.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW