• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Panel: Best "Scotch" is... Japanese(?)

slkinsey

I have tasted maybe three Japanese single malts, interesting and distictivly different, but they didn't excite me very much. On the other hand I had a Single Malt from Ireland a few months ago that was stunning.

The more the better.

What is the name of this "stunner"? Is it available in the US?

KathyM

I have tasted maybe three Japanese single malts, interesting and distictivly different, but they didn't excite me very much. On the other hand I had a Single Malt from Ireland a few months ago that was stunning.

The more the better.

What is the name of this "stunner"? Is it available in the US?

I will try to remember to find out (whisky was identified as a number, rather then distillery).

I have had much the same reaction to Japanese malts myself. The telling sentence in the article, IMO, was ""This was a group of average whisky drinkers..." Well, one could take a group of so-called "average sherry drinkers" and they might prefer cooking sherry on average. By and large, "average" drinkers tend to prefer flavors that are simpler, smoother, sweeter, etc. It would not surprise me in the least to find that Laphroaig, for example, was not rated very high by this panel.

I've tried a few Irtish single malts myself, and while I found them interesting and quite excellent, they were a little too light and not quite smoky/salty enough for my personal preferences.

--

I've tried a few Irtish single malts myself, and while I found them interesting and quite excellent, they were a little too light and not quite smoky/salty enough for my personal preferences.

Try dipping a kipper in them then.

I samples three barrel strength Irish SM, two were interesting, one was 'better', but can't remember the details. Will have to contact the Whisky Society.

Try dipping a kipper in them then.

That's a pretty good idea! Then I could have whisky for breakfast!

I'd be interested to hear which Irish singles you think are good, as they are only just now making themselves known on these shores and the selection is undoubtedly better on your side.

--