• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parchment and braising

snowangel

Both Judy Rogers (Zuni Cafe Cookbook) and Paul Wolfert (new slow Mediterranian cookbook) mention putting parchment paper on top of the food before the lid when braising. Judy says to "tent" and Paul to "crumple a piece of parchment."

Why?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I can't imagine what this will do. I typically braise in a LeCreuset French oven and I can't for the life of me figure out what parchment would add, much less crumpling versus tenting. Hopefully, Paula will check in and enlighten us.

From a technique standpoint, I usually do any browning on the top of the stove, then move the pot to the oven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Perhaps the parchment limits the open space between the top of the food and the lid? Most lids are domed shape. (This is a guess, by the way.)

(Edited for grammer.)

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

Parchment paper placed directly on the surface of food will prevent it from developing a skin. I usually braise with a piece of parchment and no lid on my pot or pan, or with both parchment and a "lid" of aluminum foil. But I don't braise meats for hours, I braise mostly vegetables.

Edited by Malawry (log)

Oh. Ok. I can see that. I really just braise big hunks of meat and stews and such. I really haven't done any vegetable braising. I am interested in how you do that, with what, and how it comes out.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I often use a parchment "lid" for braising. Usually, it is because I have no cover for the braising vessel.

The parchment will prevent a skin. It also prevents the steam, condensation, drip cycle. Don't ask me what difference, if any, that makes to the braise.

Edited by MichaelB (log)

It also prevents the steam, condensation, drip cycle. Don't ask me what difference, if any, that makes to the braise.

I thought that is what braising is all about. But then, when I put the pot in the oven instead of on the top of the stove, there isn't much condensation going on so what do I know.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

The reason I use crumbled parchment paper dipped in water is I can easily fit it over chunks of food that "stick up" over cooking liquid.

As for the layer of parchment: it helps regulate the moisture level and keeps the food in place, allowing it to literally bathe in a small amount of liquid. In many recipes of the Mediterranean, I begin with a small amount of liquid and let it slowly develop deep flavor as the food cooks.

The alternative is to boil down liquid at the last minute. The flavor is never the same.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.