• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions on how to cook Korobuta pork?

CRUZMISL

Well, I associate Kurobuta with Tonkatsu(Japanese Pork Cutlets), perhaps the most famous pork dish in Japan. Since Kurobuta is Japanese I thought that you might be interested in cooking something Japanese(and tonkatsu with quality pork is really yummy).

I found this recipe on the net, but I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.japanesegifts.com/rpanko.htm

Reagrdless of what you end up cooking, would be interested in hearing about the quality of the pork since I've been thinking about ordering some myself(I am hesitant since the Kobe Beef that I have bought has been disappointing).

Steven Shaw (aka Fat Guy) posted a thread om Korobata a while back. Here it is.

Panko are very large flakes so get a large grind.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thre really is no substitute for Panko which are sweetened and using plain bread crumbs will lose a lot of the appeal. Make your own sauce an forget the store bought ones. Find a a Japanese grocery or mail order the Panko flakes. -Dick

Agree with the Panko assesment.

As for Tonkatsu sauce, I used ready made one that I mixed with crushed white sesame seeds, and it was actually pretty good.