• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sub-Zero Wine

eliotmorgan

I’m seriously considering buying a Sub-Zero wine unit. My cooking school and several restaurants I’ve worked in have these machines. But I’ve heard rumors. Most unsubstantiated—friend of a friend’s friend nonsense. This is probably the most informed forum there is on kitchen ups and downs. What I can confirm is that there is a 5 year labor warranty and a 12 year warranty on the compressor. That sounds good, but Consumer Reports says the refrigerators are excellent and “repair prone (July 7, 2002).” So what do you think of these machines? Thanks in advance for your time.

Special Thanks to Rickster who suggested I post in the wine forum. Since I usually just look at "Today's active topics" I hadn't realized the distinctions. :biggrin:

We've had a subzero wine unit for the last 3+ years and have never had a problem with it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a good unit. Never heard there was a maintenance problem. Dont' expect to have one either.

Thanks NVNV Girl, I'm a little suprised by the negative things I hear about Sub-Zero. In large part, because the owners love them, and others have friend-of-a-friend stories. I came across a negative review concerning the compressor in an old Consumer Reports, but their story seems to have changed too.

My problem with buying a wine storage unit is that I'd much rather spend the money on buying more wine :biggrin:

It's now between Sub-Zero and the unattractive unit EuroCave.

You need to be careful buying cellars from a company that's main focus is refrigeration. They typically take a regular refrigerator compressor and put it in a nice case and voila, a nice wine fridge. My Mom bought me a Haier from Costco. It held 30 bottles (too small anyway) but it was noisy and I hated it. I returned it, and bought a 220 bottle vintage keeper. It is designed to store wine, it's quite and I really like it. If you drink a bottle per week a 220 bottle cellar is just the right size and possibly a bit too small. I think I got mine for $1600 Canadian from a local restaurant supply house.

www.vintagekeeper.com

Hope this helps,

Joe