• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epernay in Montclair

Rail Paul

Duck Confit on Pumpkin and Blue Cheese Risotto, Fried Sage, Walnuts

You know, French food doesn't usually do it for me, but this is officially calling my name!! Does anyone know when they re-open?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Tonight we had our first meal from Epernay's fall menu.

We started with the Lentil Soup with the Foie Gras crouton, and the Leek and Gruyere tart (and although it's not a new dish, we then split the Frisee salad). For main courses, we had the Pot Au Feu, and the Duck Confit on Pumpkin and Blue Cheese Risotto with Fried Sage and Walnuts, and then we nibbled the Chocolate-Banana Bread Pudding.

It was obscene, from the first bite to the last.

We left happy. Very happy. Sure, we waddled more than we walked, but it was a happy waddle.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Okay - call us gluttons; It wouldn't be the first time. Tonight, we drove from Hoboken to Montclair again to have our second consecutive night of sampling Epernay's new fall menu.

We started with the Tomato Soup in the Puff Pastry Crust, followed by the Leek and Gruyere Tart (again). Then we had the Halibut in the Truffle Broth, and the Smoked Pork Chop with Cabbage, Bacon, and Dried Cherries. And just a little Tarte Tatin for dessert.

Everything was just outrageous. Now if only I could convince them to move to Hoboken, we could walk there, and waddle home. What part of this are they not understanding?

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 1 month later...

Ate there last night.

We had:

Mussels with white wine, garlic, parsley: Just fantastic. Reminded me of when I ate in Paris at the cafes of the Latin Quater.

Pate': I heard it was very good but I do not like pate' so I can't comment

Frisee salad: with bleau cheese dressing and a coddled egg. Definitely for the bleau cheese lovers!

Smoked Pork Chop: The pork chop is double cut and VERY tender all the way through. Comes on a bed of cabbage and topped with some dried cherries. The one knock I have about this dish is that I think they cheated on the "smoke." To me the chop had the distinctive flavor of "Liquid Smoke in a Bottle" This detracted from the dish.

Crsipy Skin Wild Salmon with choizo Ragout: Magnifique! Delicate salmon below a nice crispy skin. Tasted fantastic. I believe this is a new menu item.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was our anniversary so we trudged out into the pouring rain and wound up at Epernay. A lot more restaurants are closed on Mondays than I thought.

A few tables were taken and we were greeted very warmly. The waiter asked what brought us out on a rainy night and we told him. We had a beautiful dinner, Frisee salad and crispy salmon on white beans with chorizo for me and onion soup and steak frites for my husband. After dinner we were stuffed and opted not to have dessert or coffee.

We asked for the check and the waiter brought out two little cups filled with the most delicious chocolate mousse with candles.

We were thrilled with their thoughtfulness and can't wait to go back.

I love hearing things like that...Just proves that sometimes things are worth more than their cost...

Gotta get back to Epernay...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I agree--some things being worth more than their cost. I do find Epernay a bit on the pricey side but have always found the portions very large, in fact almost too large on some occasions. An order of bouillabase contained enough fish for 2 or even 3 people. It was just beautiful to look at but entirely too much for one person to eat. The salmon with white beans and chorizo was also quite large. I, of course, am one who likes to eat 2 to 3 smaller courses rather than one large.

Now that's a good thing, and, to put it less elegantly, certainly a good bang for your buck indeed.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Yesterday was our anniversary so we trudged out into the pouring rain and wound up at Epernay.  A lot more restaurants are closed on Mondays than I thought.

For a list of NJ restaurants that are open on Monday click here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=8096&hl=Monday

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 months later...

Epernay is always a treat and a belly busting experience. We had an outstanding dinner there and if you haven’t tried Chef/owner Mark Papera food then put this restaurant on your “must try” list. We ordered the addictive mussels in a white wine, garlic, and parsley sauce as soon as we sat down so we could nibble on them while looking at the menu. One order is enough for four people to share. Other appetizers were French fries (worth every calorie); country pate with cornichons and Dijon mustard; frisee salad with bacon, blue cheese mustard dressing and a poached egg; and foie gras terrine with prunes and Muscat jelly. I was in food heaven.

Lowell had a fabulous creamy rabbit and wild mushroom pot pie. It was topped with a crust that was emblazoned with a white rabbit. Great dish--it reminded both of us of chicken pot pie. I had the herb and pepper crusted tuna served rare with lentil salad and shallot vinaigrette. The duck confit on pumpkin and blue cheese risotto with fried sage and walnuts as well as the hanger steak with bone marrow, haricot verts and red wine sauce were also exemplary dishes. All were winners.

You can’t leave Epernay without trying the desserts. I am particularly fond of the lemon tart and chocolate mousse but certainly love the profiteroles filled with ice cream accompanied by a pitcher of warm chocolate sauce and the crème brulee.

Service was attentive. As each new bottle of wine was opened we were given new wine glasses.

Epernay, 6 Park St, Montclair; BYO. The restaurant is open Monday through Saturday from 5 to 11 PM. Phone: 973-783-0447.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 weeks later...

Only losers go to Epernay :wink:

I'll be eating the hanger steak. Never had the boulliabaise, but I think it's a fish stock base...

Full Disclosure- I don't think losers eat at Epernay. They eat at Latour... :biggrin:

Only losers go to Epernay  :wink:

I'll be eating the hanger steak. Never had the boulliabaise, but I think it's a fish stock base...

Full Disclosure- I don't think losers eat at Epernay. They eat at Latour... :biggrin:

adegiulio - aren't you a wine buff? - what do you recommend I bring along to match the menu at Epernay?

I've been known to drink wine once in a while. For bouillabiase, I would look for something like a white rhone. Something with some body and a little bit of lush sweetness. A sweet bouillabaise might make a dry white taste flat and overly acidic. The rest of the menu is pretty hearty, so if I were eating there I would probably bring a big wine, a syrah perhaps. Of course, if I were dining with a group, I might be inclined to dig up a bottle of prosecco to start things off, if I could find one.

This is all hypothetical, of course.

I am completely shocked by the idea of adeguilio drinking. And PROSECCO? Shocking. :laugh:

If I were eating at Epernay (which I'd eventually like to do), the first thing I'd try is the frisee salad I've read so much about. And of course, I'd bring RED wine. But that's ME. Don't listen to me. :biggrin:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Toed the line of skewing a sacred cow by gentle criticism of Fascino this 'morning, will now temp fate. I adore Epernay; Mark & Courtney have a great restaurant where they do many things very well (including the intangibles) - the frisee is perfect.

But I'm not a fan of their bouillabaisse. Bouillabaisse in the US is really tough - getting the right fish almost impossible. Epernay's bouillabaisse is sorta more like a fish stew - tasty, yes - but did not satiate my authentic bb fix.

His short ribs, however - to die for.

Damn good fries & aioli sauce, too.

And great service.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Thanks for making this so easy! I've never set foot in the place, but I'll have the frisee, the fries and the short ribs, please. What should dessert be? Keep in mind that I'm not a chocolate freak. :shock:

Toed the line of skewing a sacred cow by gentle criticism of Fascino this 'morning, will now temp fate.  I adore Epernay; Mark & Courtney have a great restaurant where they do many things very well (including the intangibles) - the frisee is perfect.

But I'm not a fan of their bouillabaisse.  Bouillabaisse in the US is really tough - getting the right fish almost impossible.  Epernay's bouillabaisse is sorta more like a fish stew - tasty, yes - but did not satiate my authentic bb fix.

His short ribs, however - to die for.

Damn good fries & aioli sauce, too.

And great service.

Well, since you said bad things about Fascino, (a restaurant I enjoy), I will nitpick your post on Epernay. Her name is CourtnAy :biggrin:

I love Epernay also, though the frisee salad is chronically overdressed. I won't drum up old posts about this, but rest assured when I go there next, I'll be begging for them to take it easy on the sauce....

Non chocolate lovers (aka Communists) will enjoy the creme brulee or tarte tatin...

...Non chocolate lovers (aka Communists) will enjoy the creme brulee or tarte tatin...

Tarte Tatin it is!!! :biggrin:

• 5 months later...

To me, what Epernay really excels at is appetizers. We had the new chicken liver mousse and the mussel bisque last night. Both were excellent. The mousse was served with brioche and was very similar to foie gras (obviously), but a bit lighter. The mussel bisque had great mussel flavor and was not as heavy (with cream) as some bisques you find. I had the rabbit with home made pappardelle, mushrooms and peas for a main. Good, but the rabbit flavor did not come through. Maybe I just don't eat enough rabbit to appreciate it...but I expect it to be a bit gamey. Anyway, they also added a few other apps, which you can see on their website.

Edited by pete ganz (log)

Too bad, perhaps the 24/7 commitment to the service industry got to them after a while. Good luck in whatever they do.

Please God, no Indian or Thai food in it's place, please! :raz:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Indeed, let's hope it's for happy reasons, and that they're moving on to bigger and better things, and let's hope that they keep us informed! Here's wishing them the best of luck, and thanking them for all the great meals and wonderful hospitality that they've provided !!!

Mark and Courtney will be taking a break to spend more time with their young children. If they don't sell they will continue to serve the excellent food that they are known for. The restaurant is open so plan on dining there in the meantime.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 4 weeks later...

Had dinner here on Wed. We shared mussels in garlic sauce

and 2 steaks. The mussels are very tasty and a very big order

some of the best mussels around.

We were in the mood for steaks so we both got steaks

the steak were very tender and perfectly cooked

unfurtunatley we could not finish they are quite big.

this was my second time here the food has been very well prepared

bothtimes and full of flavor

no one posts much on Epernay, but if your looking for simple

well prepared food this is the place