• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epernay in Montclair

Rail Paul

I was just there last night. Great as always.

We ordered French fries as soon as we were seated to keep us occupied while we looked at the menu. Had frisee salad with bacon & blue cheese, mustard dressing; onion soup; and goat cheese profiteroles with black olive vinaigrette for appetizers.

Entrees were Chef Mark’s fabulous crispy skin salmon with white bean & chorizo sausage ragout, and grain mustard sauce; and a scrumptious roast free range chicken with mashed Yukon gold potato, tomato confit, & braised mushrooms. Needless to say we were stuffed and only ordered profiteroles filled with ice cream accompanied by a pitcher of warm chocolate sauce for desert. However the kitchen sent out a few desserts so we really indulged. Took a taste of my favorite the-- lemon tart and also a very respectable chocolate mousse and of course the crème brule.

If you haven’t heard Epernay is for sale so be sure to get your fill of a very talented chefs cooking before he leaves NJ.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

what is actually for sale at Epernay? the building? just the contents of the restaurant? or is the business somehow worked into the equation. i ask because Rosie suggests to get there before the chef leaves, but if the chef leaves, what's left?

is there still outdoor seating? might be a good one for me to hit in the next week or two before it gets too cold!

is there still outdoor seating?  might be a good one for me to hit in the next week or two before it gets too cold!

Yes. There is outdoor seating, directly in front of the place.

During the week, it tends to get a bit grimy as the #66 bus rolls by every few minutes, drops off pax, waits for the light, spews exhaust, etc. Nice on weekends, though.

Edited to add: Indoors at Epernay is quite nice however. Esp on a cold, rainy evening.

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Tommy--Not sure of all the details but Chef is leaving everything at the restaurant including his recipes, equipment, dishes and probably some staff and will work with the new owner at the beginning. Name of the restaurant is suppose to stay the same. Probably a similar deal that occured at Jocelyne's. But I am just giving you hear-say.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Interesting. VERY interesting.

I drove past Epernay last Saturday night, and they were dark. It was just around 9pm, so I'm sure they hadn't closed for the night--just not open. I figured they had sold the place--go figure.

As for the fumes, that is always an annoying block of foot and vehicular traffic.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We were in St. Maartin on a Family Vacation From 9/11-9/19 which would account for the lack of action on Sat night. If anyone wants real information of what the sale of the business includes, please call the restaurant. We appreciate your support over the years and will continue to operate as usual until all contracts are finalized. We have several offers on the table which are under review.

We will be sure to keep everyone posted when things are complete and look foward to introducing you all to the new owners who will maintain and improve on what we are proud to have built.

Mark & Courtnay

• 4 months later...

On a spur of the moment impulse, Diana suggested dinner at Epernay Friday night. We dine at Epernay at least twice a year, tasting the fall and spring menu changes. This dinner was the best we have ever had at Epernay and we will be returning again soon, at least for the special Australian Wagyu (Kobe) Beef dinner they are serving on the February 19th.

Having decided against selling, Coutney and Mark have settled in and are very focused on making Epernay the great French restaurant that it is and can be.

Mark’s talents as a chef continue to advance. To start we tried the soup Lentil Du Puy, a new item on the menu for us. Lentils Du Puy are named after the French city Le Puy en Velay a beautiful place with ancient sacred sites in Auvergne where they are grown. These lentils are well known for their exceptional flavor and texture. Choosing these exceptional beans to create the best lentil soup I have ever tasted is in Mark’s style of always using the best ingredients available.

We also had the Roasted Beet, Mache and Leek Salad with Walnuts. A appetizer we have enjoyed many times before, but on this day it had a little fancier preparation, the dressing a little more pronounced.

Of course a trip to Epernay would not be complete with out the Frites with Aiola. Alone served in a paper cone or with Steak Frites they are delicious and a good way to fill up the kids if you are feeling generous enough to bring them. They are cooked just right and sprinkled with salt and dry sautéed parsley.

The wine we poured was a Sauvigon Blanc from New Zealand that I bought at Amanti Vino. It is produced by Claire and Mike Allan of Huia Vineyards. They both spent time learning their trade in Champagne, France near the city of Epernay. This delicious wine is more well rounded than most New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs, which tend to be very sharp. I agree with the winemakers description “On the nose this aromatic wine shows uplifting bright gooseberry and ripe citrus. It is finely structured with multi layers of fresh squeezed passion fruit, pineapple, lime and some flower notes. The flavours on the palate are intense and long.”

Epernay is in Burgundy, were Pinot Noirs and Chardonnay tend to rule, however, I think a Boudreaux Cabernet or Sauvignon Blanc would go better with the menu at Epernay. The table next to us had two German Rieslings they were enjoying and another table had two California wines. As I have said before when it comes to wine, drink what you like.

I'd suggest stopping by Amanti Vino on Church Street, tell them what your planning to eat, your price range, and they will suggest a wine I'm sure you will enjoy.

For entrees I had the new Creamy Chicken and Wild Mushroom Pot Pie. I always loved pot pie as a kid, but have not had one in years. I had to try it. What was the best pot pie you have ever had? Your Mom’s? Horn and Hardarts in New York or Philly? This one is better, with a perfect light but crispy crust over delicious chicken in gravy with carrots, potatoes and exotic mushrooms.

We also enjoyed the Smoked Double Pork Chop, Braised Cabbage, Bacon & Onion, Dried Cherries Jus. We have had this before and was excellent again.

Too full for dessert, we passed on favorites of the Berries with Sabayon or the Apple Tarte Tatin

If you go to Epernay, please go hungry, the portions are hearty and rich, very filling. For appetizers you can easily share a Steak Tartare or Country Pâté and one or two salads among four people.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog