• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any ideas for this Saturday night?

Natasha

We are getting together in the city tomorrow night (Oct. 25) with two couples that we have not seen in a very long time. We waited too long to make a reservation at most recommeded places, and so one of the group made a reservation at Anjou on Market Street. I have misgivings about this place, and would really prefer a BYO. We called Azafran but found that thye do not take reservations. Any opinion on the wait for 6 people around 7:00 on a Sat night? Any other ideas? Thanks.

It was my understanding that Azafran does take reservations for parties of 6 or more, am I wrong? Did you mention that you were a party of 6 when you called? Because this would be a great place to go. How about a place like Figs? That's BYOB and a fun place on a Saturday night.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

there's any number of places i would recommend.

figs and azafran are two.

melograno, a relatively new place at about 22nd and locust?? i've heard nothing but good stuff about.

la baia is a place i've always liked but don't hear too much about (17th and lombard).

i've listed places that i think are good and still aren't as popular as the most well known and crowded BYOBs (Chloe, Django0, La Locanda all come to mind).

dmitri chimes' newest place at 24th and lombard (can't recall the name) is another, although he has another place a few blocks away at 22nd and spruce.

if you wanna give azafran a shot anyway, there's several good BYOBs nearby where you'll can go if not.

Gnocchi, Overtures (both on Passyunk between 5th and 4th and South and Bainbridge) and Tartine all come to mind.

That's probably more than enough.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I called Azafran again this evening and, indeed, they do take reservations for parties of 6 or more. I think we will enjoy this meal a lot more than the one at Anjou. This board is great!

glad you were able to get by with azafran.

judy's, right there on the corner of 3rd and bainbridge, might be a good place for a drink afterwards anyway.

never been to tartine. i do want to go sometime though. i think it should be very good classic French, of which i don't have nearly enough experience with.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.