• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Uncertainty

Al_Dente

I was dining at an enjoyable little restaurant nearby the other day, and wasn't sure what I wanted as I looked at the menu. The place isn't fine dining or anything, but I was conflicted-- the tasty burger, which I had before, with the good gorganzola, or the roast 1/2 chicken with herbs? I went with the burger, I was familiar with it, I knew it would hit the spot, and it was less expensive.

What factors go into your decision when you're trying to decide between dishes that caught your eye? The side dishes offered? Your familiarity with the dish (whether from that restaurant or from other experiences)? Or perhaps your UNfamiliarity with it-- you want to try something new? The price? Do you decide based on what you know of the strengths of that particular restaurant? It occurred to me that there can be a lot of factors and probably about 25% of the time I dine out I might have this internal debate.

What tips the scales for you?

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and how often do you end up regretting your decision?

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Well, if its an ethnic type restaurant where the food can be shared, we usually just order everything we want and take the extra home for lunch the next day.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, if its an ethnic type restaurant where the food can be shared, we usually just order everything we want and take the extra home for lunch the next day.

That brings up a whole nuther factor-- your dining companion ordered chicken, do you feel compelled to order beef/lamb/pork/other?

-- A.B.

That brings up a whole nuther factor-- your dining companion ordered chicken, do you feel compelled to order beef/lamb/pork/other?

Well, when I'm out with rachel, this usually causes 10 minutes of negotiation while we figure out what dishes we are going to order and share.

Frankly I think its easier to negotiate with North Korea over nuclear arms.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

My wife and I sometimes do something that she and her sister originated growing up. We agree to split two dishes 50/50. The rule is that when the dishes arrive, you eat half and then switch, no matter how much better one ends up looking or tasting than the other.

On a related note, I've always been amused by the thought that all across Asia there could be American restaurants where diners go in and share platters of cheeseburgers, fried chicken, grilled salmon, tacos, lasagna and pot-roast spinning around on a lazy susan. Everyone starts with a plate of fries, and then piles the other stuff on top.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Frankly I think its easier to negotiate with North Korea over nuclear arms.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This sounds like my husband and I! We normally peruse the menu for about 10 minutes then announce what we would like to order, about 90% of the time it is te same thing! then we both (at the same time) say oh then I will get the ....., which will of course be two completely different dishes and then we need to figure out a way to get that original dish we both wanted back into the picture......... :blink:

As to the original question, I usually tend to go for the foods I have never eaten before (if I have visited the restaurant before) , if it is a new restaurant I go for the one that would be the most difficult to prepare at home.

I hate to waste money on something I can prepare at home for a lot less money.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My wife and I sometimes do something that she and her sister originated growing up.  We agree to split two dishes 50/50.  The rule is that when the dishes arrive, you eat half and then switch, no matter how much better one ends up looking or tasting than the other.

On a related note, I've always been amused by the thought that all across Asia there could be American restaurants where diners go in and share platters of cheeseburgers, fried chicken, grilled salmon, tacos, lasagna and pot-roast spinning around on a lazy susan.  Everyone starts with a plate of fries, and then piles the other stuff on top.

1st paragraph: not a bad idea

2nd paragraph: cracked my ass up

-- A.B.

If I can't figure out what I want, I'll ask Jason what he thinks I would like. He usually does a good job. I can almost always tell what Jason is going to order for himself when looking at a menu, even if I don't know what I want for myself.

The definition of true love....

-- A.B.

No, the definition of true love is when your wife insists on ordering something, you know its not gonna be good, you tell her she's not gonna like what she ordered and you end up giving her what you ordered and you eat her dish instead.

And then if you cant stomach it either you order something else.

My husband and I never order the same thing. I usually order fish because I don't make it often at home. And as a rule I don't order chicken because..........I do cook it alot at home. If I can't decide what to order I pick the dish based on how interesting the sides are. Of course I have regretted some of my decisions!!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

No, the definition of true love is when your wife insists on ordering something, you know its not gonna be good, you tell her she's not gonna like what she ordered and you end up giving her what you ordered and you eat her dish instead.

And then if you cant stomach it either you order something else.

I stand corrected.

I had a meal along the lines you describe recently. The details become gruesome.... obviously not true love... :hmmm:

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

-- A.B.

My husband and I do the exact same thing... the 50/50 split. Manage to confuse a lot of wait staff that way. And I play your game Rachel, predict what he'll get. I'm almost always right on.

I defnitely take into account what I've had to eat recently when I order. What I had to eat the previous few nights (and how gluttenous I've been).

And then there are two other things:

1) The stink factor. If I'm headed for anything involving polite conversation (or things less polite) afterwords I don't want to reek of garlic or ... well, you get the point.

2) How much I plan to drink. If it's a boozeless evening I have no problem getting the seared ahi tuna and veggies, but if the wine is flowing and there are martinis happening later I had better tuck in something more substantial. It's not pretty if I don't!

And Vengroff... you almost made me snort my wine! Hilarious.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

1)  The stink factor.  If I'm headed for anything involving polite conversation (or things less polite) afterwords I don't want to reek of garlic or ... well, you get the point.

2)  How much I plan to drink.  If it's a boozeless evening I have no problem getting the seared ahi tuna and veggies, but if the wine is flowing and there are martinis happening later I had better tuck in something more substantial.  It's not pretty if I don't!

two more factors for this complex decision...

-- A.B.

It's easy for me.  Mrs. V doesn't eat red meat, so I rarely eat it at home.  When at a restaurant, however, I often order some lovely mammalian flesh.

Interesting twist on the decision making..... appropriate-- Varmint is a bit twisted...

-- A.B.

If I'm not sure which entree to order, I'll find out what sides go with those that interest me, and pick based on which sides I like better. (We had a thread some time ago on how this is a demonstrable gender difference. :hmmm: )

And then yes, there's the negotiation with HWOE. Normally we share 50-50, either eat-and-switch or get a couple of extra plates and load 'em up so the table is covered with china. Sometimes, though, I really really want something, or he does, and the other is not so interested. In that case, we trade tastes. Or not, if one wants something the other doesn't much like (very few items there, though).

Didn't Calvin Trillin say (vis-a-vis jury duty lunches in Chinatown): "With more people you can order more dishes?" There was a time we ordered one dessert and seven forks, though . . . :biggrin:

My wife and I do the 50/50 thing that Vengroff describe most of the time.

But she doesn't like some things like lamb and veal (something about baby animals?). I can only have these when we go out so I tend to order them when I get the chance.

Then we just pass tastes back and forth. When I was a kid I would be very embarrassed when my parents did this (just like all children are embarrassed by everything their parents do).

Bill Russell

It just depends on the place, my mood, the menu. For example, I had dinner with Dave the Cook the day after the Pig Pickin' ordered a pork chopand stuck to my choice even as he shook his head with bemusement.. He, "sensibly" , ordered the steak. My pork chop was damn good, his steak was only fair. (To be fair, his lamb stew at El Rodeo in Raleigh was better than my pork stew.)

I have powers of divination about these things, 90% of the time. My husband waits for me to order before he even looks at the menu, and always says:"Well, yeah, that's the best thing," and tries to order something completely different, insisting on the fifty-fifty split. He doesn't get away with it of course---it's more like eighty-twenty.

If two items look equally good, cost approximately the same amount, and you're hungry: Shut your eyes, take a deep breath, and choose. Done.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Hmm, am I the only one who asks the waiter/waitress? When it's a toss up between two equally interesting things, I'll ask -- looking for either a straight answer or that fleeting half smile or lift of the eyebrow that says, "don't order that one today, it tastes like the chef's dog got sick in it."

This only works in nicer restaurants. In mid-line & lower places, Tad (which the waitron is invariably named, male or female) will tell you what his/her favorite is, gushing enthusiastically while describing how he and his friends devoured a platter of it before doing the beer bong.

sigh.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

It just depends on the place, my mood, the menu.  For example, I had dinner with Dave the Cook the day after the Pig Pickin' ordered a pork chopand stuck to my choice even as he shook his head with bemusement..  He, "sensibly" , ordered the steak. My pork chop was damn good, his steak was only fair. (To be fair, his lamb stew at El Rodeo in Raleigh was better than my pork stew.)

Modest male pride (how many women just lost it?) prevents me from reminding you that I generously allowed you to order the oysters while I played second fiddle with the gumbo (80-20 was about right, as I recall).

But we went through that "can I make it better at home" thing, too, didn't we?

That lamb stew was the best thing we didn't eat at Varmint's (or Dr. Mrs. Varmint's Mom's), in my opinion. I wish I knew what it was.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

My wife and I follow the Jason / Rachel formula, although she usually says to me: "Here's what I think we should do." (Translated: "Here's what we are going to do.") At some of our favorite Asian restaurants, where we know the owner, we just say, "we want a pork dish, a chicken dish, a noodle dish, two appetizers and a salad. Surprise us." And it is always good.

in a word-tapas. if not available, i try to go for something that i'm not likely to cook for myself. if i'm really having problems then i just try to drink myself silly- an answer will generally come after bottle of wine #3.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"