• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quirky restaurants in London

JC70

I have some guests coming from outside London, early November. I would like them to try an unusual restaurant with unusual food, and why not, even scorpions dipped in chocolate…..I have been to Arcipelago once (the former birdcage), and I liked the atmosphere (although I went for more conventional food at the time), but I would like to try something different.

Your suggestions are deeply appreciated :rolleyes:

For quirkiness and atmosphere it has to be Sarastro on Drury Lane. Operatic style setting, 'dining' opera boxes mounted on the walls, orgy artwork in the toilets, live opera on Sunday lunch and Sunday & Monday evenings. I am not an opera fan but have always had a fantastic time there and it's somewhre that wont be forgotten. No chance of a Michelin star but then they play to their strengths!

try MVH in barnes, although it is a bit of trek from...well, anywhere really. apart from barnes. i have a funny feeling he used to be the chef at the birdcage, but i am ready to be corrected. there's a thread about it on here. i though it was really very, very good and you might find that the quirkiness of the decor is matched by some seriously good food.

i've heard good things about les trois garcon (liverpool street way) but i think here the quirkiness is more about the decor than the food.

oh, and i'd personally avoid sarastro if you like food at all.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I have to give my nod to Banners - half-soul food/Thai joint - half shrine to Motorbike speed racing. Think 'The Italian Job' meets Bob Marley and the Wailers. Also a great bar.

Apart from the having the single greatest English Breakfast since the thing first grew legs, crawled out of the swamp, got killed and stuffed into a sausage skin, then ended up on my plate, it also has a great selection of other extremely tasty 'othernesses'.

Interesting and bizarre curries. Spoon bread. Jerk Chicken. Exactly the sort of place I'd usually avoid like the plague, but somehow they make it work.

The only problem - it's in Crouch End - which is the Nose Bleed section of North London. Still, if you find yourself within five miles on a Sunday Morning, it's the breakfast of champions. Great for kids.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

For quirkiness and atmosphere it has to be Sarastro on Drury Lane. Operatic style setting, 'dining' opera boxes mounted on the walls, orgy artwork in the toilets, live opera on Sunday lunch and Sunday & Monday evenings. I am not an opera fan but have always had a fantastic time there and it's somewhre that wont be forgotten. No chance of a Michelin star but then they play to their strengths!

I had and attended several birthdays at Sarastro. The first couple of times it is a real laugh and it seems to release the libertine in everyone (assisted by particularly lurid frescos in the loos), but Sarastro's seriously unimpressive food starts to detract from the general spectacle after a few visits.

I love the dessert platter of fresh fruit, complete with whole pineapple served up with baklava that arrives at the end of the set meal. However, the last time I ate at Sarastro was three years ago - the food was so bland and so over-priced that I have never been tempted to return, no matter how curious those lurid frescos appeared after several glasses of wine.

If your friends like garlic, may I suggest Garlic and Shots in central London. I've taken overseas visitors and friends there.

If you can't already guess, all the food and drink contains garlic. They have an extensive shot "menu" as well as garlic laden beers.

The decor is quirky too. Kind of goth like with lots of black and white.

There's bunches of parsley at the table so you can chew on that before you head out the door...

Foodie_Penguin