• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Maine Shrimp, 10/18/03

This past Friday, I bought some fresh, head-on Maine shrimp from a fishmonger I trust very highly. Incredibly inexpensive -- $6.95 a pound. I cooked them yesterday (Saturday), poaching them very, very gently in olive oil, never above 175 degrees, for about half an hour (so the shells would soften and be edible, which they were).

The shrimp tasted fine, nice and sweet. The roe -- an unexpected bonus -- was pleasantly crunchy. The shells were easily bitten and chewed. But the texture of the flesh was kind of mushy.

So: did I do something wrong, or is this just not a good time of year for the shrimp, since it seems to be mating season?

Nick?? Anyone?

Just speaking to a friend in Maine (a non-cook) and asked him your question. He said it is too early; that they go shrimping after lobster season - usually beginning in December.

My own experience whenever I get shrimp (from any area) where the meat is mushy is that they are long out of the water and have been frozen, perhaps thawed and refrozen.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Mushy seafood of any sort can also mean the water isn't cold enough. Pacific salmon can sometimes be mushy for the same reason. Seeing as the Atlantic seems to run warmer in the summertime, and as the water stays warm for a while after summer's over, that may be what's going on.

Bad time to get them sounds more of a possibility than freezing/thawing/refreezing, etc. Especially since these were head-on, and not frozen; putting them through that treatment would have been easily identifiable by sight and smell. The folks I got them from -- Wild Edibles -- are not the type to do that or deal with anyone who would.

But now you have me a little worried: since about half of the shrimp were loaded with roe, and it's still 2 months to the shrimping season, could there be a problem in the future with decreased stocks? Not just from my one little pound, but from an unknown amount of too-early catch?

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

So: did I do something wrong, or is this just not a good time of year for the shrimp, since it seems to be mating season?

Nick??  Anyone?

As far as I know Maine shrimp season doesn't start until January. Sometimes it starts in December, but never this early. You got last year's shrimp and shrimp with heads on don't keep. If they were headless and shucked out they'd probably still be fine.

This past Friday, I bought some fresh, head-on Maine shrimp from a fishmonger I trust very highly.  Incredibly inexpensive -- $6.95 a pound.  I cooked them yesterday (Saturday), poaching them very, very gently in olive oil, never above 175 degrees, for about half an hour (so the shells would soften and be edible, which they were).

The shrimp tasted fine, nice and sweet.  The roe -- an unexpected bonus -- was pleasantly crunchy.  The shells were easily bitten and chewed.  But the texture of the flesh was kind of mushy. 

Nick??  Anyone?

Suzanne: The Chinese method of cooking Head on Shrimp, with Roe is very simple.

Very quickly in a small amount of oil, with some jullianed or grated ginger, and some chopped garlic being put into the oil first, followed by the Shrimp. You stir fry them only enough to become opeaque, throw in some sliced spring onions. Stir once more remove from heat, then eat.

The other method would be to prepare as Salt & Pepper Shrimp.

Most often this would result in firm, sweet Shrimp. Occasionally due to handling, either by the Fisherman or the Shipper/Receiver they will become mushy. But poaching in oil is something i've not been experienced with, as when poaching shellfish i've always used a base broth from the shells with white wine and herbs, again only until the shellfish become opaque. Serving immediately or cooling in a bowl placed into ice water, then serving cold, with a dipping sauce. The one thing i'm sure of is never overcook shellfish if you wish to enjoy the basic taste and flavor. If you'd cooked quickly the roe would have tasted much more special then just crunchy.

In Hong Kong the Shrimp Roe, or Crab Fat [Roe] is often prepared together with Sharks Fin in a extremely expensive Soup, that tasted better then almost any Soup i've ever tried. There were many trips made to the Noodle Makers Stall, where we'd bring the Fresh Shrimp Roe to be made into Hong Kongs ultimate Noodles. I sometimes buy the dried ones but they never capture the taste of the fresh. Even the times we'd bring the noodles to a restaurant to be cooked with the dinner we ordered, with a packet for the Chef of coarse, the Kitchen would be impressed, with everyone trying to make our meal special.

More important, any way we can getthese Shrimp with Roe delivered to Seattle? Those Maine Shrimpers have a Bonanza waiting for them if the Market directly to the Asian Markets anywhere.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I think of Maine shrimp being very small. Bigger than the tiny salad shrimp, maybe twice the size, but no more than an inch long, probably less. But I have only had them between late spring and early fall. Am I right, or are their bigger Maine shrimp that have eluded me.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The ones I had ranged from 1/2 inch to about 2 inches (body only, exclusive of tail and head). Most were at the smaller end of the range. I'm pretty sure now that these were just too early. I am positive that they were not frozen and thawed.

I am grateful to everyone who has responded -- with advice, conjecture, and recipes. Next time I'm in the neighborhood of Grand Central Terminal, I'll ask more questions of the guys at Wild Edibles.

As to possibly having gotten "Maine" shrimp not necessarily as to where they were harvested but as a variety, I believe that the lobster and shrimp caught off Scotland are identical to those from Maine so the possibilities are really vast. I know Scotland is the only place other than Maine where I've had fresh lobster that tasted like Maine lobster. That said, I cannot imagine it being economically viable to sell shrimp from European waters here.

And, another thought as to whether your shrimp might have been frozen... it is my impression that all shrimp are frozen unless the shrimper intends to literally sell them dockside or off the boat upon returning to harbor. Just because they are displayed for sale thawed does not mean they were not once frozen.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

No Maine shrimp are frozen at sea in our area. It's mostly 30-50' boats that go lobstering or fishing the rest of the year. No freezer facilities.

Suzanne, the shrimp do migrate here, but they're nowhere near Maine right now as far as I know. Sometimes a few start arriving late Nov. But, who knows? With changes in water temp things are going to hell.