• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unite, Cuban Sandwich experts

woodburner

I would like to see some discussion regarding the Cubano. My personal favorite is a nice hard crusty bread, a recipe from James Beard. The pork is marinaded in Goya Mojo Criollo, then roasted to perfection, sliced thinly and put betwixt the sliced crunchy bread slices. Topped out with swiss cheese and pickles and then toasted in a fry pan, weighing the sandwich down with a small Lodge cast iron skillet.

Let's put our thoughts together and jazz my method up to a more traditional style.

woodburner

whenever I make Cuban pork, I marinate it in fresh squeezed oj and lime juice, plenty of garlic, cilantro and some chili powder...then when I cook it, I rest it on top of a bunch of julienned onions doused in the marinade. I bet those onions would make another great addition to that sandwich...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Two good replies, thanks.

But let's back up a bit.

Which cut of pork would be the more traditional?

Pork roast, or a Boston Butt, roasted to the sliceable stage?

Ham.. hmmm, any preference?

I'm thinking big time here.

Maybe we could roast a pork butt wrapped in Banana Leaves for a true earthy flavor.

I'm droolin. :biggrin:

woodburner

Marinated roast pork? Yes. Swiss cheese? Yes. Pickles? Yes; here but NO WHERE ELSE. :hmmm: Ham? Yes; I'm with you, Carolyn -- gotta have boiled ham. And not-so-crusty on the bread, please. Start soft, crisp up in the (absolutely imperative) grilling.

BUT:

No mustard? No mayonnaise? OOh, yes: one or the other or both; wars have been fought over this, but at least one. Wo/man cannot eat a sandwich by grease alone.

Y nada mas.

Wouldn't that properly be a "Cubano sang-weech", NOT a sandwich?

Just checking for authenticity... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's not much better than a good Cuban sandwich - as far as sandwiches go. My father lived for many years near Key West and whenever I went to visit, we would at least once, maybe several times, head into town to pick up a sandwich or two. In the early years there was a place on Duvall, later on it was a place back where the white people (touristas) generally didn't go, then finally it was a place in a little strip mall. The Cuban sandwich reigns! My kingdom to know how that pork is done!

The cubano sandwiches I used to get for lunch from Spanish-American Restaurant (in NYC on 26th between 5th and 6th) had an incredibly strong garlic-mayo spread on them. I'm pretty sure, actually, that it was just plenty of mashed raw garlic and mayo. I would have asked them what the spread was exactly, but my Spanish skills are pretty dismal. This spread went on the bottom slice of bread. The top slice had mustard. In between was roast pork, swiss cheese, ham, and pickles. The sandwich was pressed super flat and cooked crisp. Mmm...I'm hungry.

The cubano sandwiches I used to get for lunch from Spanish-American Restaurant (in NYC on 26th between 5th and 6th) had an incredibly strong garlic-mayo spread on them. I'm pretty sure, actually, that it was just plenty of mashed raw garlic and mayo. I would have asked them what the spread was exactly, but my Spanish skills are pretty dismal. This spread went on the bottom slice of bread. The top slice had mustard. In between was roast pork, swiss cheese, ham, and pickles. The sandwich was pressed super flat and cooked crisp. Mmm...I'm hungry.

That is pretty much how I fix them. My belief is that much of the mystiqe is in the bread itself. I've read the oven is the key, and authentic is a brick type oven, whcih cooks very hot to achieve the crusty exterior.

woodburner