• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinking scotch in Scotland

Cowboy From Hell

I'm going to Ireland and Scotland in February and am looking for a little advice. First off, I love scotch. I really enjoy trying diffrent ones because they each are so diffrent from one another. I prefer middle to high end and don't mind spending $50 to $85 a bottle. One of my favorites that I can find localy is Glenfiditch Solera Reserve (15). I'm also quite partial to Blue Label but at $200 I don't hit that bottle too ofter :blink:

I was quite impressed with some of the knowledge that gathers here and though I'd try to steal some of it. :smile: I'm looking for several good scotches to try while I'm there that I might not be able to find localy. I've found the 15s and 18s are to my liking for the most part. Any help would be great.

Scott

Some of my favourites are:

Glenlivet 18yo, Longmorn 15yo, laphroaig 15yo, Macallan 18yo, Bruichladdich 15/17yo, Bowmore 15yo, Balvenie 15yo, Glenfarclas 15yo, Lagavulin 16yo etc etc

Should be able to pick all these up fairly easily with the exception of the Macallan 18yo and which is in serious short supply. Lagavulin 16yo can sometimes be in short supply as well.

go here.

http://www.smws.com/about/index.html

they have a great little bar in London, which has approx 150 whiskies under blank labels but with tasting notes (though the staff will always nod wink nod wink 'tell' you what you are drinking). I've never been to the Edinburgh one, however. One is supposed to be a member or the guest of a member to go, but I suspect if you threw yourself on their tender mercies you might be able to wing it. Certainly they can give you a good steer on where to find the good stuff. Have fun, sounds like a great trip (and am not partisan at all, being from the home of Johnnie Walker!! My dad gives us a celebratory glass of Blue Label only when Kilmarnock (local football team) wins. So that's not very often, then.)

I

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

go here.

http://www.smws.com/about/index.html

they have a great little bar in London, which has approx 150 whiskies under blank labels but with tasting notes (though the staff will always nod wink nod wink 'tell' you what you are drinking).  I've never been to the Edinburgh one, however.  One is supposed to be a member or the guest of a member to go, but I suspect if you threw yourself on their tender mercies you might be able to wing it.  Certainly they can give you a good steer on where to find the good stuff.  Have fun, sounds like a great trip (and am not partisan at all, being from the home of Johnnie Walker!!  My dad gives us a celebratory glass of Blue Label only when Kilmarnock (local football team) wins.  So that's not very often, then.)

I

The Edinburgh location is much better then the London, in terms of location and decor (Edinburgh location is a grand Georgian room, London is decor bu IKEA). You have to be a member, but that is only thirty quid and if you are serious about Single Malts then this is the place to go.

If you manage to get to Oban there is a bar there which has about 400 whiskies (if memory serves me right)

The owner always said that he used to have a bottle of malt containing cheap blended whisky for those who ordered it to be mixed (I think even with water).

Thanks guys...I don't think I can get the wifey to "buy" a membership so I can sample scotch. We will however be pub hopping while we are there. Probably 3-4 days in Edinburgh and 3-4 days in Inverness. I plan on trying all I can and bringing home EVERY LAST DROP customs will allow. :biggrin:

I will definately check out these recomendations and pass on the feedback. On a side note, the only scotch Ive ever had that was simply undrinkable was Knockando. The only one Ive had that I didn't care for is Glen Ord...any feedback on either of these scotches?

Scott

One of my favorites is Usquaebach:

http://www.usquaebach.com/

Don't overlook their blended stuff either.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks guys...I don't think I can get the wifey to "buy" a membership so I can sample scotch. We will however be pub hopping while we are there. Probably 3-4 days in Edinburgh and 3-4 days in Inverness. I plan on trying all I can and bringing home EVERY LAST DROP customs will allow. :biggrin:

I will definately check out these recomendations and pass on the feedback. On a side note, the only scotch Ive ever had that was simply undrinkable was Knockando. The only one Ive had that I didn't care for is Glen Ord...any feedback on either of these scotches?

Scott

Try the "Bow Bar" in Bow Street (about 1 minute from the Royal Mile). Small Bar, but exellent selection of Malts, including some closed distilleries.

n.b. Don't call whisky "Scotch" in Scotland. Makes you look like a tourist.

The last two whiskies that you mention a boring is all.