• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Wine Rec's

sammy

We're hosting a dinner Friday night as a fundraiser for my daughter's school.

My wife and I chose a somewhat Spanish theme so would like to stick with some Spanish wines. Our entree is going to be a roasted white fish of some sort (depends on the fish market but probably halibut or hake or maybe cod) over a bed of roasted potatoes, onions and tomatoes with olives, chorizo and fresh herbs. The fish will be breaded with herbed bread crumbs. The sauce is the juice from the vegetables plus some fish stock and a touch of fino sherry.

For appetizers, we'lll have assorted tapas to include ham, chorizo, manchego, spanish frittatta, piquillo peppers stuffed with goat cheese and and maybe sardines.

Desserts are at someone else's house. Yeah!

I was leaning towards an Albarino to start (Pedro de Soutomaior) and a basic rioja (Caceres) or a Ribera del Duero (Protos Cosecha). I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the wine as I do not believe many will notice the difference anyway. I'd like to keep it in the $10-$15 neighborhood. I'm saving a better bottle to drink while doing the dishes. :smile:

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Rioja will work with the fish, but for me I would lean towards La Rioja Alta - both more delcate and complex.

Why not start with Cava? Bubbles make for a great party and match all the foods.

(I would really recommend Lustau Fino for starters, but it may be too wild for the school group)

I like the Enate Crianza Somontano, which should be in the $10-15 price range you are looking for. It's a lesser known region than Rioja, but Enate produces some nice wine. They also have a good Rose, if you want to go that way with the fish.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Why not start with Cava? Bubbles make for a great party and match all the foods.

(I would really recommend Lustau Fino for starters, but it may be too wild for the school group)

Cava is a great idea.

I'm not familiar with Lustau Fino so I'm assuming it is a Cava.

Thanks for the help.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

For the red, there are some very good Jumillas in that price range. (sorry I can't remember producers, but there are many; Jumilla is the region, Monastrell -- aka Mourvedre -- is the grape).

Cristalino is a good cheap cava, but there are tons of them.

Cristalino is a good deal isn't it. Amazingly cheap and pleasant.

Bodegas Costano is a house I have just discovered or did it discover me? Thier wine from Hecula is mouvedre and hmmmmm perhaps Grenache? They also have thier bottling from Yecula and then there is Infierno a monistrell and merlot blend. I have enjoyed all of these wines and would recomend them in the 2001 vintage. So does the infamous Robert Parker, the wine writer not the mystery writer. BTW they are not expensive, well within your budget. The Hecula would also go well with dish washing.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/