• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving to London...your favorites?

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, it makes us look a bit unwelcoming, no recommendations after so many days.

Senor hamachi, you will find a lot of info on restaurants which (some) people like by going through the threads and picking out the ones which are about particular restaurants.

I have really rather down-market tastes, which a lot of people on here might be scathing about, but I'll give you one or two places which I like.

If you fancy an excursion, get the Tube down to Tooting Broadway, where you will find some really good Indian restaurants. Head south, and after a 5-10 minute walk, you'll find the Sree Krishna, a very good South Indian restaurant (194 Tooting High St, SW17, 020 8672 6903). Head north and you'll find the Kastoori, a vegetarian Indian restaurant (188 Upper Tooting Road, SW17, 020 8767 7027). Near the tube is the Jaffna House, which has some Sri Lankan specialities.

In central London, I've been eating some very good Chinese food at the Dragon Inn, in the middle of Gerrard Street. I'm sure a lot of people would say that you'll get better Chinese food elsewhere, but I like it.

I was very keen on Locanda Locatelli (8 Seymour Street, W1, 020 7935 9088) when it opened, but is it my imagination or has it become ever more expensive ? Fine if you want to spot celebrities, as long as your digestion isn't ruined by Madonna and Stella McCartney lunching at the next table.

If you fancy some really traditional fish & chips, I'd recommend the North Sea, 7-8 Leigh Street, WC1, 020 7387 5892 - you can either book a little table, or have it wrapped up to take away. Very simple and not messed about with, and I've always found their fish to be very fresh.

Going back to people watching, rather than the food alone, don't forget the 5th Floor at Harvey Nichols.

Oh well, there's 7 places which betray my proletarian tastes, but which I'd take my friends to.

Just got back from London:

To begin with the basics.

One of the best bakers in the world is in your neighborhood, Paine Poilâne, 46 Elizabeth St., SW1 9PA, 020 7808 4910 midway between Sloan Sq. & Victoria mainline station, close to Victoria Coach Station.

Somewhat further away are the two branches of St. John's, the original in Smithfield near the Farringdon Station and the new branch (St. J. Bread & Wine) in Spitalfield.

reservations@stjohnrestaurant.com

St. John Restaurant, 26 St John Street, London, EC1M 4AY, Smithfield

Reservations 020 7251 0848 Fax 020 7251 4090 Office 020 72514080

St. John Bread and Wine, 94 - 96 Commercial Street, E1 6LZ, telephone 020 7247 8724, fax 020 7247 8924,

http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk, Spitalfields

egullet discussion: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=9&t=23358&st=0

The bread is excellent and most everything else is worth trying. Some feel the newer branch is better.

Ethnic food: Turkish, Angel Mangal in Islington, a Turkish grilled meat restaurant.

Indo-Pakistan, New Tayyab, in Whitechapel 83 Fieldgate St. 020 7247 9543

Pied a Terre, Charlotte St. near Goodge St. Station on the Northern Line, Michelin Two Star, innovative French cooking.

That should cover a number of options.

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Villandry on Great Portland Street W1 (10 mins north of Oxford Circus) is a fantastic deli/sandwich place/traiteur. They also have a bar + restaurant where the food is wonderful, but I would recommend going at lunchtime, it's a bit dead in the evening. have a look here

http://www.villandry.com

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

hmmm...

Some places local, and some worth going out of your way for.

for good cheap grub, that byo's and very good food:

Rotisserie Jules, Bute St, South kensington. Should you come across the Notting hill version, make no sudden moves, and back away slowly.

For f*ck off good nosh: Pied a Terre, Charlotte st

for great, great wine, at fair prices: tate britain in pimlico. best wine list in london, certainly for the mark up's. Food is ok, they only serve lunch.

When Pied a Terre is booked solid:

Tom Aikens - South Ken.

Roussillon - Pimlico, good and it's local

Great little bistro: Andrew Edmunds, Soho (cosy, food good, wine great)

Great local frenchy: Poule a Pot

Place to send enemies: Hush

Place to make enemies: Hush

Place to divide opinions: St John

Best value lunch: Le Gavroche or if full,

Capital Hotel - chavot is a genius.

At least some of my favourites anyway.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Hi all.  My wife and I will be moving to London for 6 months...we'll be living in the Victoria/Belgravia area.  We would greatly appreciate any of your recommendations for all kinds of restaurants - good locals places, ethnic foods, best deals, etc.

Thanks!

A previous poster has already mentioned a fish and chip restaurant but I'd like to recommend Seafresh in Wilton Road, minutes away from Victoria Station.

They do takeaway as well as eat in too.

Foodie_Penguin

Welcome to London then.

London has an amazing diversity of restaurants and food. If it were not on price, London can beat most European cities on diversity. ( being French, I still reckon this and discovered many asian dishes in London for example)

My first recommendation would be to buy a guide on eating out in London, as it could help you have an

overview of the types of food, and some initial reviews.

The big downside of London being: it can get dificult to find a calm, "ST Valentine's like" quietness, without paying a hefty price.

Then, my sample recommendations would be ( all subjective) :

not over-expensive:

- Busaba Eathai, thai food. Wardour Street. their scallpos are great.

- Wagamama - japanese: try the chicken katsu curry or a ramen.

- La Bota , spanish ,crouch end

- Galicia, spanish, portobello road end ( Ladbroke Grove )

italian:

- mediterraneo ( Notting Hill, close to Ladbroke grove )

english ( but middle age type recipes )

- Veronicas

there are many wonderful and cheap chinese in Chinatown.

Then you can go for super chefs venues: Gavroche, Petrus ... Never tried as I am sampling those in France and Spain first.

enjoy your time.