• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale Asian

suzz

Any suggestions on upscale Asian? It could be Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Pan-Asian, but I'm looking for someplace with great food and decor, maybe a bar, for a special night out. Willing to travel for the best.

Chengdu 46--Clifton Many people like this place. I was there once and didn't find the food to be anything different than the usual Chinese restaurants that cater to American tastes.

Cathay 22, Springfield--good reputation but I have never been.

Shanghai Jazz--Madison If you like jazz this restaurant would make for a pleasant evening.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Taste of Asia in Chatham and Montclair delivers consistently good Malaysian food.

It's quite reasonable, under $25 per person at dinner, and under $10 at lunch

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There's an upscale Vietnamese place in Chatham, on the next block from Taste of Asia, I went there last year and recall I liked it.

Perhaps Danielle's?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I used to live by Cheng du 46. I'm surprised to hear you say it wasn't great. I had a number of fantastic meals there. I moved near Shanghai Jazz, but have yet to go. I do hear it's a great time, and good food too.

A new japanese restaurant opened in Nyack, NY last month. It took over the location where Icki Ricki had their restaurant for over 20 years. Anyway, the name of the restaurant is Wasabi, and I was lucky enough to be at the grand opening and thought it was great. The menu was reminiscent of Nobu's. - Lot's of "small plates" to choose from which is nice since it tends to encourage sharing. I don't know what location you are in or how far you are willing to travel - if you are close enough it is worth your consideration.