• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap, good eats in Houston?

megc

Hello! This is my first post to the Texas etc forum. My friend recently moved to Houston to study bass with a teacher at Rice, and as a student she is fairly poor right now. I think she lives relatively near Rice. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for good, cheap, and interesting eats in Houston? She's still getting acclimated to the south as well, so info on purveyors of regional tastiness would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

There are tons of cheap places.

First off I'll start with Asian places in the midtown/downtown area not too far from Rice.

Givral's has some great vietnamese sandwiches and other goodies. I usually get the grilled pork Banh Mi. Its awesome! And they are only $2. its located at 2800 Travis inside Hoa Bin Center.

Cali Sandwich located at 3030 Travis serves up a fine $2 Banh Mi's plus very good vermicilli ($4). Very good vietnamese eggrolls as well. As a special treat you can get a smoothie and to go further you can get a durian smoothie.

Thiem Hung at 2100 Pease serves up Banh Mi for $1.5 6 inch, $2 8 inch, and $2.5 12 inch. They also have a big bowl of Beef noodle soup for $4.5.

There are a ton of Pho places where you can ine for under $5 fairly well.

Guys meat market has a great burger during the day. Get it with bbq sauce and whatever else you like on a burger.

Frenchy's Fried Chicken on Scott street serves up awesome fried chicken dinners for $3-4.

Taquerias galore in this town. Really to many to mention but I'll give it a go.

Villa Arcos on Navigation serves up the best breakfast tacos around. Ask for a SUPER!

Taqueria Laredo on Washington has very good and cheap tacos.

El Rey has a very good chicken acapulco sandwich. el Rey is also on washington at Shepherd.

El Tacambaro in the farmers market has good stuff.

Pancho's meat market on Long Point. Great tacos, tortas, and gorditas.

Thats shoudl get someone started. Let me know how it goes.

For cheap good eats you cannot beat some Chinese/vietnamese places down Bellaire close to the Beltway 8 . Two of my favorites are "Tan Tan Fast food" where you can get one of the best noodle soups ever for a great price. The other is Lai Lai's , they make amazing chinese dumplings as well as other favorites. Lai Lai's is a tiny place but is usually busy and portion sizes are excellent (think leftovers!!!)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Also try Santong Snacks on Bellaire, kind of in the area where tan tan is, for really good beef noodle soup and dumplings. Its in one of Dinh something or other shopping centers. In the same center is Taiwanese Cousine which is also very cheap. Very authentic. One of my favorite dishes is the crispy fried pork intestines stuffed with scallion. Really, don't know it til you try it. They also have a very good whole fish in chili sauce.

Has your Rice matriculator yet heard of the science dept. basement rumor? I'm hazy on the finer points (it were abt. 10 yrs ago when I dated this adorable Owl--he was in the MOB and played an invisible instrument--great story, another time), but there used to be a basement dive amongst the sci quad where you could get scandalously cheap drinks. Does this sound familiar to any other Bayou City Brethren????