• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

I've never had a hubbard squash before. How does it compare to other squashes? Also, how does one open it up, short of using a band saw, axe, power tools, or dynamite? I've somewhat avoided them mostly because I understand they're quite an effort to prepare.

I have a couple of the very long, very sturdy chef's forks, which are extremely sharp, I stab deep into the squash in several places and roast it in the oven for about 45 minutes.  It should have softened enough by then to cut with a big knife.  Or you can use a clean hand saw.  I have one just for use in the kitchen.  They aren't very expensive and much safer than using an axe.  One of the men at the produce market will split them in half with a machete - after I purchase one.

Hubbard squashes are available here in all sizes from Acorn squash size to basketball size. And there are Red Hubbards as well as the Blue Hubbards, which are the old variety.  I have used them both and I have never found any difference in the flavor or texture of the flesh.  

Hubbards were favorites with people in earlier times because they kept better and longer than other winter squashes if kept away from damp and heat.  And one squash could easily feed a family with several children.  

And the squash is very nutritious.

In flavor, Hubbards are similar to banana squash, turban squash or butternut and most eating pumpkins. It has very dense flesh, not very watery, which is why it is the longest keeper.  It is great for pies, both sweet and savory and when combined with bacon in a savory pie, is unbeatable.  I use thyme, marjoram and a hint of sage, sprinkled on chopped onions in butter, just barely colored, mixed with the cooked pumpkin and crumbled bacon, you can leave it in bite-sized chunks or mash it a bit but leave some texture.  Turn it into a lightly-baked pie shell from the store - 10 minutes in a 325 oven -  bake it for no more than 20-25 minutes and serve hot.  I generally serve buttered noodles or pasta with just oil and garlic with it.  

I don't have a "recipe" per se, I just wing it and it always turns out fine.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

57 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I've never had a hubbard squash before. How does it compare to other squashes? Also, how does one open it up, short of using a band saw, axe, power tools, or dynamite? I've somewhat avoided them mostly because I understand they're quite an effort to prepare.

I have a couple of the very long, very sturdy chef's forks, which are extremely sharp, I stab deep into the squash in several places and roast it in the oven for about 45 minutes.  It should have softened enough by then to cut with a big knife.  Or you can use a clean hand saw.  I have one just for use in the kitchen.  They aren't very expensive and much safer than using an axe.  One of the men at the produce market will split them in half with a machete - after I purchase one.

Hubbard squashes are available here in all sizes from Acorn squash size to basketball size. And there are Red Hubbards as well as the Blue Hubbards, which are the old variety.  I have used them both and I have never found any difference in the flavor or texture of the flesh.  

Hubbards were favorites with people in earlier times because they kept better and longer than other winter squashes if kept away from damp and heat.  And one squash could easily feed a family with several children.  

And the squash is very nutritious.