• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose Fat

Pinga

I have a jar of goose fat left over from last March sitting in the fridge and it is only now after the weather has started to turn that I am contemplating roasting my potatoes in this fat for this upcoming weekends Sunday roast(A leg of Lamb with garlic and rosemary,baby glazed carrots and the roast potatoes,redcurrant jelly on the side).Have I left it too long and is this goose fat way to old to use?

Thanks Pinga

I've been experimenting increasingly with duck fat for potatoes - and boy are they evil. I find they need a lightly lower temp - 375-400F or 180-200 C for a bit longer than with other oils - that I run hotter and shorter.

And on a side note - what is it with duck fat? I spent a month or so collecting enough to confit a mess of duck legs... and now I can't get rid of it quick enough. Seems like I'm filling up container after container of the stuff.

I'm gonna end up confit'ing my cat.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

And on a side note - what is it with duck fat? I spent a month or so collecting enough to confit a mess of duck legs... and now I can't get rid of it quick enough. Seems like I'm filling up container after container of the stuff.

I make duck confit a lot (mainly in goose fat) and the leftover fat always takes up a ton of room in my refrigerator. I have started to make a practice of putting it in smaller jars and giving it away to friends. The problem with the stuff is it doesn't really get "used", as in absorbed. I have made potatoes a number of times with goose fat and most of the fat is left when you finish (just like Paula Wolfert said it would be.) A separate posting on ways to use extra duck/goose fat would be welcome.

To answer the original post, I have used duck fat after a year and it was fine. I think you might be able to periodically reheat and skim the fat to increase its longevity.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point