• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herbacidal Herb's day in NYC

herbacidal

Yea I know, it ain't really that hard to eat in NYC for under $40 a day.

Here's how I did it anyway.

Since I missed Varmint's luncheon, had to eat something on my own.

Meandered over to West 4th and Sixth Ave. to Ony, my favorite noodle shop.

A vegetarian spring roll and original menchanko later, I was one happy camper.

About $15, including tip.

Later in the day, I went looking around for Rice.

I knew it was on a cross street south of Houston, because I happened past it on a previous NYC trip.

I liked the idea of all the different kinds of rice, very simply served with a few choice selections.

After some time spent finding it, I ordered Thai black rice with chicken coconut and sauce

$5.50, it was counter service, and I took my bowl and sat outside and polished it off quickly.

Not sure how legal that was, but no one stopped me.

It was very tasty, the black rice had interesting texture, and the chicken coconut and sauce was perfectly creamy.

After that I felt like poking my head in the door at 'inoteca.

So about twenty minutes after I finished up at Rice, I was looking at the people crawling all over this new haven of wine, food, and hipness in the Lower East Side.

Not a bad little place.

As I wandered north on Ludlow, I noticed a place called Creperie.

I decided to sample a chocolate fudge crepe.

As I was polishing it off while sitting in front of the little storefront, I'm sure I lured in at least one or two other paying customers.

$4, also counter srevice.

After continuing north on Ludlow, I noticed some interesting bars with happening social scenes, like Luna Lounge and Paladar, although Paladar is a restaurant also.

When I wandered west a block I noticed a place I had managed to see on every one of my previous trips to NYC, but managed to avoid thus far (I was actually saving it for a post-drinking meal, since it's open 24 hours).

I poked my head into Bereket and ordered a doner kebab. Pretty good, but I've had better gyros in Philly. If I was drunk and it was 4am, I might feel differently.

$5, a little expensive compared to some I've seen, but not too bad.

Hmm, I think I left out the $2.50 I spent on a Fresh Samantha and the $1 for a bottle of water.

Not to mention the $12 I spent on a Collins drink with a Filipino fruit whose name I can't remember at Jefferson on West 10th.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

great to see you Herb, sorry you didnt get to see the mad rush!

You also missed when I walked into the back of the house trying to be helpful by bussing a table with 6 half emtpy glasses to have them all be knocked on to me!thankfully it was not on the floor, but I was "kindly" told by the chefs to remember to say "behind you" im sure that i ll remember that next time, thank god it was only water and not, say WINE!

<> the fruit is called Calamansi!!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer