• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I had a burger at Fairway on Saturday, and for the first time it was substandard. I ordered it rare. It arrived looking greyish on the outside and pink on the inside. Apparently, the burger was cooked over too low a flame. I'll have another sample before the Club makes the effort to go there.

...i'm just not convinced that all of the places that we love grind their own.

Oh, I'm sure you're right.

It would be interesting to get some data from the restaurants we visit as to whether or not they grind their own meat, and see what impact that practice has on the quality of the burger. I'd be willing to bet that most of the steak houses, for example, grind their own. Especially as many of them supposedly supplement their base meat (usually chuck, I imagine) with ground up trimmings from their steaks.

--

i think that's a great idea sam. if we have a core group of people going to a bunch of these places over the next few weeks (months?), why not take the opportunity to find out

1) if they grind their own meat

2) what is the approximate fat content

3) what is the cooking method

4) what cuts are used

5) do they season the meat before cooking

6) etc.

i think there's some great value in that. but something tells me Fat Guy probably did this 6 years ago. :wacko:

Edited by tommy (log)

Not to mention that we may get special attention if it becomes known that we are an "informal critics collective" from the famous internet food site, eGullet.

Heh. Let's all order and wear eGullet t-shirts.

Or will that get us kicked out? :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

Red meat sounds good to me.  Ahh 3 years as a vegetarian and now part of burger club - i love life.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years and a vegan for five of those. Craved bacon the whole damn time.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

i think that's a great idea sam.  if we have a core group of people going to a bunch of these places over the next few weeks (months?), why not take the opportunity to find out

1) if they grind their own meat

2) what is the approximate fat content

3) what is the cooking method

4) what cuts are used

5) do they season the meat before cooking

6) etc.

i think there's some great value in that.  but something tells me Fat Guy probably did this 6 years ago.  :wacko:

If this happens, I think it should be done after the fact. After all charts are collected and put away. No one changes the chart after it has been surrendered.

Not to mention that we may get special attention if it becomes known that we are an "informal critics collective" from the famous internet food site, eGullet.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too.

I'm a DC eGulleteer, but I'd sure like to join this club. How much are the dues? When do I get to learn the secret handshake? Any hot single babes searching for the perfect burger?

Hehehehe. Actually, some good friends of mine now have an apt in NYC. I think I'll be up there on a semi-regular basis. I'd sure like to come along if your night out coincides.

By the way, freshly ground makes all the difference, and the meat has to be GENTLY formed into a patty-- just enough to hold it together.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You know, I swear I can bring threads up just by thinking about them.

*Boys, go away*

I have been wondering if the females of this club will start cycling together.

Then the PMS thread came back up.

*Boys, go away*

Hee-hee.

The real test would be to see if a bunch of ladies on the Pill (at various stages) will start cycling together.

Or did you mean bike-riding? :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

I am totally lying.  It is most DEFINITELY a dating service. :biggrin:  :wub:  :biggrin:  :blink:

Crap! So now I have to make myself presentable? While shoving a burger down my throat? :blink::raz::laugh:

What was I thinking? It is most definitely NOT a dating service.

*Boys, go away*

Hee-hee.

The real test would be to see if a bunch of ladies on the Pill (at various stages) will start cycling together.

:laugh:

Okay, I'm going to call Molly's can we have a most ly definite headcount so they can seat us all together, AND have enough burgers for us all?

elyse is in.

I'm in.

--mark

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I am totally lying.  It is most DEFINITELY a dating service. :biggrin:  :wub:  :biggrin:  :blink:

Crap! So now I have to make myself presentable? While shoving a burger down my throat? :blink::raz::laugh:

You should be as presentable as me:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/photos/pbwolf/p...pbwolf_bike.jpg

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.