• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I can always be convinced to throw back a beer. What day are you thinking of?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

OH, I don't know where. Kennedy's? Good Guinness, convenient for those in my neighborhood.... :biggrin:

M, I'm sure they'd keep the music low if we asked. Art Bar is caddycorner from Jane. 13th st.?

How is everyone for drinkin on Sunday afternoon?

Edited by elyse (log)

The costs of these burgers are just alerting us to what we should have seen already -- a hamburger that has swollen to 10 or 12 ounces is a freakish and unnatural thing, and the price reflects it. Most "destination burgers" are bound to cost too much, just as they are bound to be largely indistinguishable from each other, and to taste like nothing so much as a chopped steak on a roll. :sad: That's the problem with New York burgers -- they need to be expensive because they need to pay the rent, and they need to be big to justify being so expensive. I love the idea of a burger club outing to a place which is cheap, cramped, ugly, and an absolute temple of burgerdom. Somewhere in New York there must be a perfect hamburger: thin and rich and flat, exquisitely symmetrical, and packed full of beefy-greasy oomph. We'll never find it if we're paying $15 and holding it with both hands. Blue Smoke and 21 are the best of the big burgers, for my money: blue smoke for straight meat quality and 21 for gourmet revisionism. But I'll still stick with Veselka on a good day; and dream of Dirty Martin's in Austin, and other great small-scale masterpieces.

p.s. I had a great medium-rare burger cooked to a turn the other day at the Lenox Hill Diner on Lexington and 77th. Boo yeah! Was it good. :laugh:

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

The costs of these burgers are just alerting us to what we should have seen already -- a hamburger that has swollen to 10 or 12 ounces is a freakish and unnatural thing, and the price reflects it. Most "destination burgers" are bound to cost too much, just as they are bound to be largely indistinguishable from each other, and to taste like nothing so much as a chopped steak on a roll. :sad: That's the problem with New York burgers -- they need to be expensive because they need to pay the rent, and they need to be big to justify being so expensive. I love the idea of a burger club outing to a place which is cheap, cramped, ugly, and an absolute temple of burgerdom. Somewhere in New York there must be a perfect hamburger: thin and rich and flat, exquisitely symmetrical, and packed full of beefy-greasy oomph. We'll never find it if we're paying $15 and holding it with both hands. Blue Smoke and 21 are the best of the big burgers, for my money: blue smoke for straight meat quality and 21 for gourmet revisionism. But I'll still stick with Veselka on a good day; and dream of Dirty Martin's in Austin, and other great small-scale masterpieces.

p.s. I had a great medium-rare burger cooked to a turn the other day at the Lenox Hill Diner on Lexington and 77th. Boo yeah! Was it good. :laugh:

Fantastic! You've turned my argument around on its head. Anyway, I think PM is the closest thing to your "burgerdom" that we've had.

picaman

kirk

mhesse

me

sherri?

JosephB?

forkAndPen?

Blondie? (can't remember if you chimed in)

Lurker? (I need my tins back)!

Who am I forgetting?

This Sunday afternoon sometime. Kennedys? All State? Where? When? I'll be busy baking for the next few days, so someone take over for a few days.

Who am I forgetting?

Me! As of now, it looks like I can join you guys. What time are you thinking of?

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

sherri?

This weekend has turned into a big old mess of stuff to do. My old roommate from DC is coming into town, so between entertaining her, getting my holiday shopping finished up (er, well...started anyway) and a friend's last minute holiday get-together sunday afternoon, I don't htink I'll be able to join you guys. :sad:

Sherri A. Jackson

picaman

kirk

mhesse

elyse

bloviatrix

nope---->sherri

????----?JosephB

????---->forkAndPen

nope---->Blondie

????---->Lurker (E needs her tins back)!

Who am I forgetting?

This Sunday afternoon sometime. Kennedys? All State? Where? When? I'll be busy baking for the next few days, so someone take over for a few days.

I'll chip in until Elyse is out of the kitchen.

I updated the list in my "quote".

How about 1 pm Sunday? It's soon enough to still be lunchtime for those who eat late and late enough for those who've eaten earlier. We should perhaps think of a place without a loud football crowd so we can chat. All State works for that (I think). Haven't been to the other places E suggested. Right now this is an informal drinking club event, rather than burger club.

Anymore people thinking of joining us? Alternate times or locales?

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Who am I forgetting?

Me! As of now, it looks like I can join you guys. What time are you thinking of?

bloviatrix, I do apologise.You were actually in my mind.

blondie, :sad: . We still have to get together soon.

sherri, :sad:

bourdain, Burger Joint, or you're not allowed.

R Washburn, areyou trying to get on my good side? :biggrin:

alacarte Posted on Dec 11 2003, 03:02 PM

QUOTE (R Washburn @ Dec 11 2003, 01:52 PM)

QUOTE (bourdain @ Dec 11 2003, 11:00 AM)

Has BC been to Big Nick's yet? 

Do you mean Burger Joint? 

troublemaker

You on drugs? He actually got it right!

hesse, you're a prince among men. 1's good for me too.

One o'clock? I'm usually just getting to the Week in Review. I never get out of the house that early.

Looks like I'll be giving Blovie a heart attack this weekend. :laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

How about 1 pm Sunday? It's soon enough to still be lunchtime for those who eat late and late enough for those who've eaten earlier. We should perhaps think of a place without a loud football crowd so we can chat. All State works for that (I think). Haven't been to the other places E suggested. Right now this is an informal drinking club event, rather than burger club.

Anymore people thinking of joining us? Alternate times or locales?

Thanks for stepping up! It all sounds good to me.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite