• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham Hocks

FoodMan

Ms. White, thank you so much for taking the time to participate in this Q&A,

I love Ham hocks and I buy them at the store whenever I get a chance, however I am getting tired of just adding them to soup or beans and I was wondering if you have any new and non-traditional methods to prepare these things (I have two in the fridge right now).

Thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hi Foodman,

You sound just like one of my brothers; love ham hocks. They are great for seasoning a pot of beans or peas or soup. But here's another good way, too:

Cook the ham hocks in a big pot of water seasoned with a little thyme, a few whole cloves, onion, garlic and bay leaf for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until just about tender.

Meanwhile, make a glaze out of a half-cup or so of dark molasses or maple syrup or dark honey; one-half cup water, a splash or dark rum or bourbon, a tablespoon cider vinegar, and teaspoon or two of spicy mustard. Mix well.

Drain the ham hocks. Lightly oil a heavy roasting pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the ham hocks in the pan and brush liberally with the glaze. Cook another 30 minutes or so, or until the hocks are glazed and lightly browned, brushing with the glaze a couple times. Enjoy.