• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2000 Bdx. tasting

Florida Jim

The tasting was professional in nature; white table cloths, bread and water the only accompaniments, each wine in its own glass, all glasses the same shape and size. The wines had been open about an hour but not decanted.

Initial comments:

-All wines were opaque, deep red with purple tinge.

-All wines were well concentrated, without patent flaws, had solid acids, were intensely flavored, balanced and displayed slight to moderate tannins.

-I would drink any of these wines with beef or lamb and be satisfied.

-None of these wines were California in style.

-The wines ranged in retail price from $24 to $102; I did not find a significant quality leap between the lowest and highest priced wines – I surmise that this speaks well of the vintage overall.

-I am not generally a fan of cabernet and merlot based wines but I attempted to be objective in my notes.

-Prices noted are full retail in western NC.

D’Escurac, Medoc (60 cab./40 merlot):

Moderately expansive, some smoke, perfume and chocolate tones, with hints of mineral and green wood smells/

Medium body, predominant flavors of ripe cassis and chocolate, little wood, touch of heat, medium tannins/

Medium finish that was lightly drying.

$24.

Good on opening, devolved some over time.

Reignac, Bordeaux Superior (85 merlot/15 cab.):

Black fruit with substantial wood smoke, slightly closed, some spice and graham cracker/

Medium body, closed and somewhat weedy in the mouth with black fruit backing, considerable tannin/

Short, tannic finish.

$41.

Too much wood for me.

Montlisse, St. Emilion (80 merlot/20 cab. franc):

Moderately expansive, sweet fruit, not complex, touch of vanilla and cab. franc lift/

Smooth but good grip, polished and integrated, simple but tasty/

Medium finish that was moderately tannic.

$35.

Nice wine.

Clos Eglise, Castillon (70 merlot/15 cab./15 cab. franc):

Big wood char leading on the nose – almost sour, liquor-like scents/

Very soft on the palate some char and very sweet fruit (feels manipulated), simple/

Odd finish that was drying from both tannin and something else that seemed artificial.

$44.

Something is wrong here. The moderated said this was one of the new style Bdx.

La Prade, de Francs (80 merlot/20 cab. franc):

Big and sweet black fruit, earthy and harder than the preceding wines, some wood but not too much/

Black fruit on the palate, slightly closed, the impression of better balance than the preceding wines, a hint of cab. franc lift/

Long, tannic finish.

$42.

Seems to have promise but is a bit tight for predicting.

La Tour Carnet, Haut Medoc (58 merlot/30 cab./12 cab. franc):

Very similar to the La Prade with slightly muted flavors, a touch softer and less complexity.

$35.

A lesser version of the preceding wine.

La Croix St. Georges, Pommerol (100 merlot):

Bright black and red fruit scents with gentle oak, some licorice; the impression that it was both clean and concentrated/

Ripe and juicy on the palate, expansive, smooth and integrated but still intense, fine tannins, good complexity, touch of green/

Medium, drying finish that gives the impression of balance.

$102.

Distinctly brighter and cleaner than the others. I have no idea what this will become in time.

My relative preference has the Pommerol first, the Castillon last, and all others on equal footing. However, many liked the Castillon much more than me.

I will not buy any of these.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com