• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best BBQ in Greenville, SC

ccjustice

Thanks Kathy. That'll come in handy on those long drives from Richmond to Atlanta. Is it close to I-85?

How about "downstate"? I'll be driving to Hilton Head in a few weeks and would love a good place to eat lunch (bbq or not) near I-95 (South of Florence). Hilton Head recs welcome also.

Unfortunately, it's not that close to I-85. It's located at 240 Wade Hampton Blvd. Greenville 29606. Mapquest can help you navigate. As for recommendations along I-95, I really can't help you. Just fast food joints as far as I know. Been to Hilton Head several times and wasn't impressed with any of the restaurants I visited. Charleston, on the other hand, has some outstanding restaurants.

Watch out in southern SC unless you like your bbq sauce= vinegar, yes, only vinegar. Hog Heaven in Pawley's Island absolutely destroys a butt in this "vinegar based" fashion. Vinegar, and only vinegar.Gross.

• 3 weeks later...

my folks live downstate (Bluffton, the speed trap before you get to HH) and that's where i grew up.

on Hwy 170 in Levy (nothing more than a wide spot in the road, really) is The Pink Pig. worth a stop, for sure. it's where my parents get pork whenever they have a party.

I-85 goes right through G'ville. A 5-6 minute drive to Wade Hampton Blvd.

Don't know why previous poster told you differently.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

• 3 months later...

Brushy Creek BBQ, in Powdersville - outside of Greenville on the way toward Easley/Clemson is world class South Carolina style Q. A little less mosasses in the mustard sauce than in Holly Hill. Good hash! Great pulled pork and ribs. I've not found better in the upstate.