• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant bet. Princeton & Summit

PaulaJK

Need a pleasant restaurant...quiet enough to chat w. another

couple...located between these two towns. We know Verve

in the somerville area..Any other recommdations....

Most of the restaurants in Somerville that immediately come to mind are all pretty noisy: Verve, Ciao Bello, Fillippo's, Origin. If you can get a spot upstairs at La Scala, that might be suitable for you.

Aside from Somerville, you can try Pheasant's Landing in Hillsborough. We finally tried it a week or two ago, and found the indoor room very pleasant.

There's also a Japanese restaurant in Bridgewater near the Commons (sorry, the name escapes me right now) that would fill your needs if you don't sit at a hibachi table or the sushi bar. It's a very pleasant place.

Hope this at least gives you a start!

I recently had dinner at Makeda in New Brunswick. They serve Ethiopian food and I was very tentative about it before going. However, the food was very good, good enough that I'd gladly go back, and the sound level in room was great for people wanting to talk without yelling at one another.