• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar

tommyf

I recently went to dinner with a friend to the Snack bar in Chelsea on the recommendation of a colleague (used to be a friend). It was terrible. Overpriced, my Mahi Mahi had been so overcooked that I was tempted to use it as a snow shoe this winter. The cocktails come in two price ranges $7 and $9 - nice trick, the $7 dollar is a thimble and the $9 is smaller than most restaurants. The food was so unspired - burnt or relatively flavorless. Then again I guess, as the name suggests it is not some where you go to eat, more one of those "have to be seen" places.

On my way home I bought some Pirates Booty which was one hundreth of the price and considerably better.

I recently went to dinner with a friend to the Snack bar in Chelsea on the recommendation of a colleague (used to be a friend).

Are you saying one bad recommendation changed them from friend to colleague? Wow, harsh. :unsure::blink:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...

Well I also agree with your comments. 3 months ago i worked there one day for a sous chef position. After working with the chef/owner for 8 hours and seeing all the short cuts he takes with his food, i knew it was not the place for me. i predict it will be closed within the year. he doesn't even make chicken or veal stock or any stock for that matter. his fish comes in already fileted and the "steak frites" were as poorly prepared as i have ever seen. on top of that they charge you for bread. :sad:

• 10 months later...

Boy, I wish I had seen this thread yesterday afternoon. I went to Snackbar last night and I have to say it was one of the most disappointing meals I've had in a while. This place really has been open only a year? Maybe it was the dreaded "Monday Night" syndrome, but it's been a long time since I've seen a place so empty (I know, that should have been a tip-off). There was one other table occupied, and the bartender had been sent home.

We sampled a few "snack size" entrees, which really should have showcased the best the place has to offer, but was truly abysmal. We ordered the "waffle bites" with creme fraiche and ikura and the white polenta with peppers and capers. I almost could not tell them apart -- they were both square, dry, tasteless, and pink. We also ordered a bowl of the mushiest olives I've ever seen.

Entrees were an improvement: overcooked but tasty char was served with our choice of 10 different sauces. We sampled both the olive gremoulade with walnuts and a rosemary cream sauce, neither particularly noteworthy. However, the sides were good: mashed potates with chives and grilled asparagus were as good as I've had anywhere else, but they weren't enough to salvage the meal.

Mr. alacarte asked our very nice waiter if he recommended dessert...he did not. We took the hint and got the heck out of there.