• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Better than Boullion

gabe

I've read about this a lot -- it's a liquid concentrate of beef or chicken stock, not boullion, and it's supposed to be the next best thing to making it yourself. Does anyone know of any local store that carries it? I'd rather find a local source than have to order it online.

Every company makes verious levels of stock base. You want the one where beef or chicken is the first ingredient. I'm partial to LeGout, but haven't seen it available retail.

The Chef's Market on the 200 Block of South Street sells RC brand out of it's refrigerated dairy case. The beef base's first ingredient is "Roasted Beef," the chicken base's is "Chicken Meat." They also sell ham base which is great for split pea soup and, I believe, a fish base.

Does to the stock pot what butter did to the butter churn.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Does to the stock pot what butter did to the butter churn.

What's the sodium level like in these, Holly? My problem with almost every canned or concentrated stock is that they're so damn salty that it's more than I can adjust for sometimes.

I don't add salt without tasting, but that is the difference between the top of the line products and the basic products. The basic products are more salty like boullion cubes.

I don't find the sodium level objectionable with the RC top of the line stock bases.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter