• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Okay, folks, don your creative persona & be a problem solver!  :biggrin:

September 27-28? It's Nero's birthday. I would also like to have Aurora there, after all she is my girlfriend :wink: .

Fresco - no problem with the kids/relatives/others. I'm bringing my kids along too. My parents might even be able to babysit for you. We have a great tradition of being especially welcoming to relatives/spouses/significant others.

We have a great tradition of being especially welcoming to relatives/spouses/significant others.

This is true, not Midwestern aren't-we-so-darn-swell posturing. And truthfully, come to think of it, I haven't seen such a charming bunch of kiddies (and parents, spouses and SOs) in a long time.

The September date is, as far as I can see, open for me. And think of this, Event Planners: We could do a joint (well...you know what I mean) birthday party for guajolote and Nero, two of the hardiest partiers, and coolest people around.

I can work with any date except the 11th, because I intend to make my first real foray south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Varmint: I don't have a yellow polo shirt. Is pig ever picked by women in LBDs?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Any weekend is fine; we have no travel plans until at least November. :sad:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

September's mostly a nightmare for me, but I could do possibly do the 12-14 or 26-28.  All depends on when the house buying/move happens.

No September for me.

Noise is music. All else is food.

My attempt at dictatorship failed. We've entered Egullet Scheduling Hell (ESH). Once you start down the road to ESH, there's little hope. :sad:

Maybe we should start the vote over w/ 4 dates? Vote for whichever ones you can make? Most votes wins. We'll give Dawn a double vote because she's the boss.

My attempt at dictatorship failed. We've entered Egullet Scheduling Hell (ESH). Once you start down the road to ESH, there's little hope.  :sad:

Maybe we should start the vote over w/ 4 dates? Vote for whichever ones you can make? Most votes wins. We'll give Dawn a double vote because she's the boss.

No, Dean, You Gotta Dictate, Big Guy.

Post them dates.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Matthew took over the Palace (with his chalice) in a bloodless coup. I am currently in exile.

G., you shoulda seen it coming, your sig line and all... Matthew's been known to exile folks for dress code violations. :smile:

So Matthew il Magnifico: Lay it down.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

My attempt at dictatorship failed. We've entered Egullet Scheduling Hell (ESH). Once you start down the road to ESH, there's little hope.  :sad:

"She's the boss..."

No way, man. I'm not the boss...

I'm THE HAMMER. :raz:

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS...

I'm not the boss of you (plural). It's the code of the sandbox, and, well, it works for me.

Speaking from the heart, as Guaj's :wub: girlfriend, I cannot -- will not -- take two votes. Out of the question.

I've stirred this pot enough already, and the stew isn't close to done. A suggestion of posting available dates followed by a vote gets my vote (1).

Lay it out. I'm more of a Jimmy Carville kinda guy. I'll stay on the edges. You get the spotlight, my friend. :smile:

Four dates. Name them.

Aurora gets a two-fer.

Carry on.

Lay it out. I'm more of a Jimmy Carville kinda guy. I'll stay on the edges. You get the spotlight, my friend. :smile:

Four dates. Name them.

Aurora gets a two-fer.

Carry on.

OK, but I thought the U-Roy / Curtis reference might convince you.

We'll start over. Please pick any weekends that you CAN make it. The weekend with the most "YES" votes wins.

September 19-21

September 26-28

October 3-5

October 17-19

My votes are:

September 19-21 : YES

September 26-28 : YES

October 3-5 : YES

October 17-19 : YES

I'm just a girl who can't say no:

My votes are:

September 19-21 : YES

September 26-28 : YES

October 3-5 : YES

October 17-19 : YES

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Aurora, take the two-fer.

And we better watch our metaphors.  If I'm Carville, G is Bill, & uhhhhh, girlfriend, you're . . .

Gennifer. If given a choice.

And where is "Hilary?"

She should also vote, or is this a vast Midwestern consipracy? Ever silent and strong. No doubt she will go on to moderate the NY board.