• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

I've been lurking this thread for quite some time and we'd love to be a part of this gathering but it seems unlikely. Once the date is set, we'll give it our best shot to attend (if'n that's okay with everyone).

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Let's make a date. Vote for either October 3-5 or October 17-19 (don't worry Ms. Ramsey, we already have big plans for you).

:shock::laugh:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hi everyone. I'm new to eGullet as of yesterday. I'm thrilled...no, ecstatic...no, delirious beyond reason to hook up with other foodies and especially with those in my adopted home town of GR. For a few years back in the 90s I was the restaurant/food writer for On-The-Town, before I tired of the measly free-lance compensation and before they started doing puff-piece reviews just like the Press and GR Mag.

Please count me in for this gathering. Either weekend would be ok, but I'd vote for the 3rd, simply because of the higher probability of good weather.

Might I suggest Raffaela's by Pagano's for the Friday night dinner? It features a very personable CIA-trained chef (who also is a friend of mine -- we transplanted NY'ers have to stick together), excellent food, and a private room if we have enough people.

Ann and I would be willing to put up a single person or a couple at our house for the weekend.

-Richard-

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Might I suggest Raffaela's by Pagano's for the Friday night dinner? It features a very personable CIA-trained chef (who also is a friend of mine -- we transplanted NY'ers have to stick together), excellent food, and a private room if we have enough people.

Welcome to eGullet, Richard! :smile:

Raffaela's by Pagano's puts out some good food. (Joe is a hidden treasure in these parts.) That would be a solid choice. What do others think?

(Also, if we end up there, I'll coordinate with Dave Russo for wine pairings.)

And, last but not least, I'd prefer the earlier date--also for weather reasons.

Thanks, Matthew.

Dave Russo is another hidden treasure.

I've found that Chi-GR on Amtrak isn't bad at all -- polite passengers, clean, and usually relatively on time. There's a 10% AAA discount. BYO food, though; there's not much worth purchasing on the train.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Let's make a date. Vote for either October 3-5 or October 17-19 (don't worry Ms. Ramsey, we already have big plans for you). Whichever weekend has the most votes by Friday wins.  I was thinking we'd go out to dinner Friday and do the hayride/apple picking party stuff on Saturday in case some people can't make it until Saturday.

I vote for the 4th.

The polls are still open. :smile:

Oct. 3-5.

I'm in.

Especially looking forward to meeting folk from the Heartland--whom I've found to be uncommonly mannerly, gracious, judicious, funny and great--if I may be permitted to generalize.

But as I warned Matthew, may be arriving with wife, daughter, visiting brother from NZ and possibly daughter's beloved--probably just ahead of a blizzard from the Great White North.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Varmint, when you're ready for your next career I seriously suggest you consider diplomacy. :smile:

As far as a direction to go in, I'd suggest that we consider other dates, too. (Except, obviously, a conflict with Varmint's event.)

I'm willing to consider Aurora as a special case. She needs to be included.

If there's any more of that yellow shirt talk "Heartland Only" tables will be a necessity (a possibly poor attempt at levity?).

Varmint - We're still working out the logistics of the 11th.

You may need to go on without me. Oh the humanity!

Or maybe September? That does throw a wrench in it all, doesn't it? Leave it to me.